Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Betaine HCL to improve digestion

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
My son has eczema, ADD and weight problem. We saw a naturopathic physician who suggested the posibility of food allergies. Among other things, she suggested Betaine HCL to increase the level of stomach acid to help with digestion. The doctor recommended a very low dosage (300mg) that's not available in stores. I tried the 650mg and had my son take it 3x a day with each meal, he seems to tolerate it fine with no discomfort.
1. Is this too much to be giving to a 9-year-old?
2. What should I pay attention to when purchasing quality Betaine HCL? I read in an article that it should not contain pepsin as it is animal based. Is there anything else it should or should not have?

Thanks
Yvonne
Did you find this post helpful?
|