Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Best hospital for spine surgery? (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
hi!

first sorry for my english.
i'm going to seek a second opinion about my neck pain(c1)
and found:

Cleveland clinic spine center
&
Hospital for special surgery

i think johns hopkins is another good place for spine problems
which hospital do you recommend?

-this is my condition:
3.7 year ago my neck broken in car accident. after first surgery and fixing c1,c2,skull by titanum i had constant pain. after removing titanum materials i still have pain and my pain become worse when i'm standing/sitting. when i ask my doctor about my pain he say:"all medical procedure is done you should not have pain!".
if you recommend anyone to contact please do
if you want anymore details about the case I will write you.
thanks a lot for you time
faraz
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile spring1
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2009
Experienced User
Hi Faraz,

Any of those medical centers that you mention are in the Top 100 hospitals report that U.S. News & World Report puts out every year. For an updated version of the orthopedic hospital specialties, check out the Orthopedical hospitals section .
|

replied June 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I would not go by the list of hospitals in the U.S News and World Report as a guide for any hospital to use or not use.

The perfect example is the listing of a leading hospital in Boston MA as at the very top 25 of the list.

Yet that same hospital was reported in the Boston Globe to have the majority of spinal surgery errors in the entire state. Serious enough that the State of MA stepped in to monitor the problem.

From personal experience of getting second and more opinions on my spine issues, the top hospitals on the lsit at US News and World Report, not only gave me poor advise on my spine issues, but where proven to be 100% incorrect in both diagnosis and treatment.

Some of your more local hospitals, including the one I used and doctors that are affiliated with the local hospitals are far superior to the Big named hospitals.

Fran
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Supporter
Hi spring1,

My husband has had several spine surgeries and has been told the same thing regarding the pain. Even though he is in chronic pain he is told he shouldn't be in pain. He has two titanium rods going from the bottom to top of his spine. His entire spine is fused along with his hips. I can't imagine having that much work done to your spine and not feeling pain. I don't know where you're located but he had all of his surgeries at Jackson Memorial in Miami, FL...they are connected with The University of Miami and have some of the best doctors.
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2009
hi every one
thanks for your posts

I'm not in us , in my country i have visited top doctors but no one knows exactly the source of pain.
so I'm going to consult from U.S physicians remotely and come there if needed.
my searches reached to E-Cleveland clinic spine center and i want to use their remote second opinion program.
if anyone knows best doctors in u.s for spine problems please aware me.
|

replied May 1st, 2013
My spine doctor is Dr Kalfas @ Cleveland Clinic his father did my back and the son will be doing my kneck! Great people! Wish you well!
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2009
Supporter
Dr. Lubwohl at Univ. of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hosp in Miami, Florida. He's a perfectionist.
|

replied June 21st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I'm not familiar with the remove second opinion program, but Cleveland Clinic spine center is an excellent facility.

Don't have any info on Florida hospitals except to stay as far away as you can from any of the Laser spine facilities, Bonati, LSI and Microspine.

Fran
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2009
Supporter
Yes, I've heard some very good things about Cleveland Clinic too.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
littleonefb---As I've said on previous posts,I live in central west Florida, I need neck spine (stenosis) surgery. I know about Bonati, but where and what are LSI and Microspine. Please let me know asap, so I don't make any horrible mistakes. Marie
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
LSI is also known as Laser Spine Institute and they are in Tampa Florida. They where trained by the same doctor that runs Bonati and have no better reputation than Bonati.

A reputation of total disaster, slick advertising, sucking people into surgery after surgery and sucking people dry of money.
LSI doesn't accept insurance as well and wants upwards of $30,000 upfront before surgery is done.

Just google either Bonati or laser spine institute and you will find plenty of info on them and lots and lots of lawsuits against them

Microspine is a similar type slick facility in Defuniak Springs, FL and they have many many problems as well and lawsuits after them as well.

Any of these places that run slick websites on the net, make the claims that they do are to be looked at as suspect. No one, no facility, no matter how good they are can claim the success rate that they do. It's just not possible.
They don't participate with insurance because they can't make the money they do.

they go around the country holding seminars to suck more and more people into going to them to get surgery.

When the surgery fails the patient, they don't bother helping you are on your own.

I'm not in Florida, I'm up north in New England so not the best to advise on florida spine surgeons, but would suspect that those at the University of Miami would be good as would those up in Jacksonville.

I don't know how close that is to you, but if those are too far away, you could contact them and see if you can get a referral to a location and doctors that they would suggest.

Stay with traditional spine surgeons and spine surgery. Either an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in spines or a neurosurgeon that specializes in spines only.

Stay away from the places that have the fancy sites and claim perfection with their surgeries and use the laser for surgery.

Fran
|

replied December 4th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The best surgeons for spine surgery will never be advertising. they are usually too busy doing procedures on the people they know in the hospital or the relatives of those people. you have to talk with other doctors, nurses and physical therapists to really find the good ones.
i dont usually like going to chiropractors but i did find that you can find out the names of the best surgeons in town by asking the chiropractor.
FRAN is 100% right about staying away from those places that have slick ads...
|

replied December 4th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
did you ever notice when you go into the waiting room of a surgeon you can tell right away how good the surgeon is just by the mood of the people in the room. at least that has been my observation. a top orthopedic surgeon i used for my hip replacements was an excellent surgeon. i'd go in and wait for him and everyone would be talking and smiling. even the ones who were in pain. plus the receptionist was very pleasant. if you have the time you might want to get to the appointment youre having with a surgeon a few hours early just to hang around and listen. ask the people questions.
in fact before you even set up an appointment why not ask the people exiting how they liked the dr.....pete
|

replied January 24th, 2010
I live in S. Florida and had surgery at one of those laser institutes you mentioned. I am crying right now thinking I SHOULD OF NEVER DONE THAT LASER SURGERY. They messed me up horribly. Before the surgery I had severe lower back pain, with minamal leg pain. I have three herniations,all at the bottom. My l5 s1 is gone completely.I sent my mri to one of those laser places. They tell me I am a candidate for something called laminofaraminoplasty.I get there,they do some shots and tell me I am now a candidate for something else now called facet debridement.I have seen 3 neuro surgeons and numerous steroids injection dr.s. About 2 weeks after surgery I began to have severe rectum pain and extremely severe leg pain which both I did not have prior to surgery.
I have since had to have spinal fusion,2 level interbody with instrumentation and bmp at l4-l5 l5-S1.I have been told by numerous neuro and ortho surgeons that the laser in very dangerous.The actual laser they use could and usually does cause nerve damage and I am a perfect case of that.My fusion neuro surgeon said when they went in to my facets they were just completely hacked up,they were a mess.There was fragments and scar tissue everywhere from the laser surgery I had only 7 months prior to fusion. My facets were completely removed in the fusion surgery. Needless to say laser spine surgery was the most horrible and the stupidiest thing I have ever done.
However I was in a situation most of us with severe back pain have been in which I was totally deseperate for relief. I am only 9 weeks out from the fusion so I am not sure how it has worked for me yet but I ahve a great feeling it will get rid of a lot of my pain.My leg pain has gotten somewhat better but like I said the laser did damage to nerves that may never heal.If I just would have had the fusion done to begin with I know I would be a lot better.I had a great team of spine surgeons work on me from Jackson Memorial in Miami.I had an extremely good spine neuro surgeon.I wish everyone the best that is suffering with this horrible back pain.God bless. Like someone said above stick with traditional back surgery done from a known spine surgeon and no laser surgery and you should be just fine...
|

replied January 24th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi...
a good surgeon with extensive experience isnt going to make many errors. a company like laser spine must be hiring less effective doctors to do the work. by keeping salaries low they make more money. thats their main interest as apposed to the wellbeing of the patient. ....pete
|

replied October 25th, 2010
Re: hi
wendyrs wrote:
Hi spring1,

My husband has had several spine surgeries and has been told the same thing regarding the pain. Even though he is in chronic pain he is told he shouldn't be in pain. He has two titanium rods going from the bottom to top of his spine. His entire spine is fused along with his hips. I can't imagine having that much work done to your spine and not feeling pain. I don't know where you're located but he had all of his surgeries at Jackson Memorial in Miami, FL...they are connected with The University of Miami and have some of the best doctors.

Hi, I 'm Jane.

My husband is going to have neck and back surgery in UCSF SF but we still aren't sure about the hospital and doctors. Would you, please send me contact information of your doctor in Jackson Memorial?

Thank you.
|

replied February 20th, 2011
Just a few thoughts
Just a few thoughts. I live in orange, Calif. but originally I am from Lusk, Wyoming. We dont have managed health care there. It is quite different. I am 62 years old and have a very bad curve in my spine. I had very bad back pain. I couldn't sit, or lay down, let alone sleep. The spine surgeon I was seeing there wanted to fuse my entire back. I saw a second opinion who tole me he thought surgery would only make things worse and that I should wait. I had no idea what to do. My physical therapist told me that if the problem was sleeping I should try a new mattress. She told me that the "Doctors Choice Mattress" was what she recommends. I ended up buying one and It almost cured my back pain and I can sleep though the night again. I never thought a mattress would matter so much. Oddly enough, when I bought it I saw that the doctor who told me I did not need surgery was the designer of the mattress! Boy was he right. The bad things though is that I can not find any place in Calif. who sells them? Anyway the point is, dont listen to a doctor that just wants to operate. You might not need it!
|

replied July 7th, 2011
The Spine Center at the Cleveland Clinic is considered one of the best in the US. Depending on the exact issues with your condition, you may find a surgeon here or there that might be slightly better at the specific specialty at an independent clinic, but most of the best will gravitate towards specific institutions that have a long reputation of excellent health care.

As you might have more than just spine related issues from a car accident, generally the other well known medical institutions in the US besides the Cleveland Clinic that give top care are the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and Johns Hopkins. They are the places that doctors send people who they can't help.

I've been to both Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic. If you need financial assistance, Cleveland Clinic is much more accessible as they have financial assistance programs in place. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, they warn you to have the money upfront. Both places were helpful in different ways, so I won't pick one over the other as a recommendation. If it helps, I was seen for joint related issues that turned out to be aggressive seronegative rheumatoid arthritis.

Good Luck!
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
Clevland Clinic
I went to the Clevland clinic in Ft. Lauderdale about 6 years ago and they refused to work on my back. They also did testing on my wife for a week and found nothing. Moved to another state and a small town doctor figured out what her problem was. She would have been dead in a few years or less if we would have not moved.
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
Also, do a google search for any doctor or clinic or hospital for "lawsuits." I did one for the laserspineinstiutes a few days before my appointment and it was just page after page after page of lawsuits and complaints saying that the doctors think they are gods. Clevland Clinic could do nothing for me like I was impossible to work on. Quack..Quack!
|

replied December 10th, 2011
Spinal fusion is no good either
I posted above about my nightmare with microspine and dr Anthony mork & how I had spinal fusion seven months after the horrible laser surgery. Well the fusion didn't work either. I had that by dr Michael Wang in Miami U and let me tell you what a nightmare that was. It has been two years and everything is so much worse I feel like shooting myself on a daily basis. Anyway dr Wang left me in the hospital for four days without ever once coming to see me. I began having sever bladder problems after the fusion and my life now is way worse then before any surgery. Stay away from fusion if you can? It has been two years & it still feels like yesterday as far as the pain in my leg,rectum,lower back.
|
12 >>