Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Belly pain post lap gallbladder surgery

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hello everyone. I hope someone out there can relate and or help me. I am post op lap gall bladder surgery 8 days ago and I am in extreme pain. I had to remain in hospital for 2 days due to uncontrolled pain post op. My surgeon says that my pain should not be so severe but all I know is this crap hurts! I know I have a high tolerance for pain. I've passed a four and a five mil. kidney stone at home without pain meds before. This is so much worse. My incension in my belly button area is open. I showed it to the surgeon before leaving the hospital and he said it will be fine. It at this point does not appear to be healing at all but the pain I am having is below my belly button. There is a hard lump beneath the skin. I figure it is where the tissue was removed from but it feels like it is constantly getting pulled down toward my feet. I have a lot of fat and skin in my belly which is just sagging down due to the 20+pounds I've lost per surgery. I'm ecstatic about the weight loss but now I think it's making matters worse. I live with my baby pillow. I can and do walk as much as possible. I even got a stretch belt to help hold my tummy in place while walking. It does help but I am not allowed to wear it laying down which is what I do mostly. It almost feels as if someone is hanging from the incision on the inside. I also cannot take the pain if I attempt to lay on my right side in bed. Same spot. That makes it 10 times worse. It will wake me up out of a dead sleep its so bad. I dont see the surgeon until 4 days from now and I'm terrified he will just tell me to suck it up. All I want is to get back to work and resume my life. I hate taking pain meds but right now I have no choice but they only help a little. I'm also running low grade fevers. I am at my witts end. Has anyone had this experience before?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper iann
|

replied December 22nd, 2011
Experienced User
I'm sorry you are going through this and hope by now you are on the mend. I did have the pulling and lump under the belly button. My other incisions healed quickly, the belly button incision took much longer and it split open a bit. It felt better after a few weeks. All of my scars have pulled at some point but nothing unbearable.
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
Experienced User
Tissue wasn't removed from below your belly button. The gallbladder is (was!) tucked up under your right bottom rib. The belly button incision is where they stick in a big pipe and inflate your abdomen. It is the largest incision and often the slowest to heal because of the position.

That area will feel painful and bloated, but that should have mostly subsided after a week. The wound shouldn't be open. Do you still have stitches, or was it glued? Or did you just have a single incision?

There are many causes for remaining pain, such as a haematoma. Things you should be really concerned about would be any signs of infection such as spreading swelling or redness around a wound site, or anything beyond a mild fever. Being overweight will also make the incisions heal more slowly, not least because there is a much deeper wound and more movement around the wound.
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2012
My lap gb surgery was 11 days ago. There was some duct blockage so they put in a Jackson Pratt drain which gets removed in few days. Besides the tube and drain, I was healing rather nicely - I could get up and down, bend a bit, even took a short walk. But yesterday, I felt something "pull" (tear?) in the region around and to the right of my navel. The outer incisions all look good - this is internal. I wasn't finding much on the interwebz until I found this thread, which has given me some peace of mind. I don't have a fever or redness, but will keep an eye on it. Hope everyone is healing well!
|