Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Bed shaking at night (Page 1)

So it has been the past few years I have been experiencing this. There is no pattern to it. It has happened a few nights in a row and then most of the times there can be days to a few weeks between these occurrences.

I would be almost asleep in bed, kind of in the in between state where I'm relaxing my mind, I'm breathing slower, just your basic process of trying to fall asleep, and then I would feel the bed shake. Like someone is standing at the foot of the bed consistently nudging it with their knee. Usually it lasts for about 1-3 minutes. I thought maybe it was me moving, so I tried a few things like paying so much attention to my body laying completely still, to holding my knees up to my chest, to sitting up in bed. And still the bed keeps shaking. I just can't figure out what this could be. I'm never woken up by it, it always happens when I'm just relaxed and sometimes my eyes are even open when it happens.

It's not a nice thing to experience. I don't like this feeling, most of the times I just close my eyes and just cuddle up next to my husband and it eventually goes away. It's not a jolting feeling, I live in Alberta and we don't have earthquakes.

I have experienced sleep paralysis once, about 6+ months ago, where I was lying in bed and all of sudden my arms got really tingly and heavy, and so I just continued to move them and shake them, and then my legs got that feeling too. It was like my body was falling asleep before my mind was. So after awhile of moving my arms and legs around (luckily I didn't wake up my husband!) eventually it passed. This has been my one and only time experiencing that. But this didn't even happen when I had the bed shaking experience.

Is there any explanations for this...I'm healthy, 5'6 125lb. I have no major health concerns in my family history.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper innovision
|
Users who thank malibuqueen for this post: razzle_snake 

replied April 6th, 2008
bad ora?
|

replied April 9th, 2008
Bed Shaking at Night
Malibu Queen, I've had a similar experience to your's described above most recently.

In my case, I was fully asleep and woke up to the bed shaking/rocking. I lifted my upper body while still in a sleepy state to see what the heck was going on, decided it was significant earthquake tremors (I'm in San Francisco), and quickly fell back asleep while the tremors continued.

Well, I visited the USGS Earthquake website to find no earthquake had occurred that would cause what I felt. I am stumped and am left to believe I caused the bed to shake. There was no vivid dream, no hallucination, no paranormal activity; I was fully conscious of the motions.

Unfortunately, my fiance was in Vancouver at the time and could not confirm the bed shaking. I'm just left to wonder . . . .

Do we have a serious medical condition? I am in similar condition to you: 5'-8", 125 lbs, fairly healthy and no medical history in the family that would relate to anything like this. No drugs or alcohol were taken or mixed prior to falling asleep.

Post a reply if you've come across any research related to the shaking, because I think its more than a "bad aura" as Dude Slayer has mentioned. Malibu Queen, you should Wikipedia "aura" - its interesting to look through the explanations and links, but I still don't think it coincides with the our symptoms.

Cheers.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Malibu Queen and MuensterMash is it more of a vibrating feeling?
|

replied August 30th, 2008
I found this thread while googling for reasons why my bed is shaking at night.
I am SO relieved that I'm not the only one.

My bed shakes EVERY night, and it's been doing that for about a year. The sensation is like if someone is standing at the end of the bed (it's mostly centered around my feet and lower legs) pushing the mattress up and down (or if you like, it feels like someone is having sex or masturbating on my bed). Once in a while it also feels like someone SITS DOWN on my bed.

At first it was incredibly scary, and I know this is going to sound strange but I thought I had a ghost-problem. I got out of bed in the middle of the night and did a series of cleansings, but it didn't stop.

I don't know if my bed is actually shaking, or if I just THINK it's shaking. I've tried to hold my legs still, I've focused all my attention on my legs to see if I'm having muscle spasms or anything like that; but my legs remain perfectly still, all while the bed keeps shaking.
The shaking is mostly in the lower region of the bed, so my legs and sometimes my pelvis-area is affected - but never my chest, arms or head.
It's also really fast, too fast for it to just be my heart or muscle spasms. It's very gentle, it's not a violent shaking. It's more of a wavy sensation than direct shaking, and some times it is actually really soothing - like being rocked back and forth in a cradle.

It happens every night, and I'm 100% awake during it. It starts shaking about 30 seconds after I've gotten into bed, when I start relaxing, so I know that I'm not dreaming.

It is really scary.
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
what's the site.. i cant find one
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Bad Spirit
What you are feeling is a spirit that has been sent to you. Me and my family experienced this same thing for years. We moved to another house and it followed us there. Whatever you do don't entertain it. Rebuke it in the name of Jesus.
|
Users who thank Sandykaye for this post: teentee  2d8te 

replied August 4th, 2012
Had Identical occurrance, and Sandy, you are 100% correct. It Is a Demon, started with me at about 12 years of age my bed would shake so violently, but you know I never saw what it was,I could never open my eyes,litterally.... I had the feeling that if I looked I would DIE right then and there from what I knew was there PURE EVIL. .As a adult I moved 2300 miles away from home and it did follow me. I am 56 years old now, and have not had a occurance since about 45 years old. But the only help was prayer, prayer, and more prayer asking Jesus to help me praying in the name of Jesus, ONLY then would it subside, and I could open my eyes, with my heart beating so hard sometimes it felt like it was going to explode... As adult my husband was right there with me in the bed, but did not feel a thing, makes me cry right now just talking about it and reliving the fear, but mostly crying that Jesus loved me enough to save me from this MANY years of sheer terror.
|
Users who thank teentee for this post: sienna123 

replied January 7th, 2014
well i had a dream that one night there was a demon in my house and i ran outside to get away but it fallowed me and it attacked me on the side walk and i was violently shaking like it was trying to get into me or trying to kill me and it was the bed shaking i knew that for a fact it wasn't me it was my bed
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
it kept happening to me, i have had two different friends over (who slept in my bed) and felt it too..
what happened one time was i was on one side, she was on the other, with her back turned to me because she was on the phone with her bf..
i felt the bed shake but didnt ask her if she did cause i always did and i didnt wanna seem out of it..
but then she said "what are you doing" ..she though i was shaking it..
so it was wierd..
|

replied September 30th, 2012
!!!!
your not and i Am also relieved but it does freak me out. I had it happen on occasionally since ive been young i always blamed it on my mother doing laundry and it was in spin cycle,now i live by my self :/ What i normally do when i feel it start i shake(like when you leg or arms fall asleep) or shake the bed your self just hard than what your feeling for a few seconds.. it goes away. I dont know if that will work for anybody else. It worked for me. Then don't give it a second thought
|

replied September 11th, 2008
Bed Vibrates at Night
I've only been able to find this topic on this health forum. About 50% of the time my bed vibrate lightly - or shimmies - and I know it's not me. Also, I don't drink, I don't take any drugs and I live on the coast of Virginia. If it were a rare occurance I could possibly put it down to the military doing something. But there is absolutely nothing nearby, the house doesn't vibrate, just my bed.

I've also heard whistling in my bedroom, and other unexplainable sounds (like dishes crashing) in my old house, but don't know if there is any connection.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
|

This has happened to me as well. I think that you are in some weird sleep state when this happens and you think you are totally awake but you are not.
|

I discovered something, if I bend my knees to certain angles - my legs shake furiously! I couldn't locate the exact muscle, but I think it's the one that you can see sticking out on your inner thigh.

So, lay down on the floor, bend your knees and see what happens. If it starts shaking, well.. there's your answer.
(yes you can imagine what I was doing when I discovered this)
|

replied October 8th, 2008
this has happened to me and my wife, alot. the first time it happened I woke her up to ask if she felt the shaking, she did. I think it is the result of our body heat heating the coils of the mattress and creating some kind of radiating effect, I know its not spirits because we don't feel any sensation of presence or evil or anything just a vibration in the mattress, it all started when we got a new pillow top mattress, my old mattress was old and the springs were shot and this never happened so I think it is the coils in the mattress not a ghost...
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Accually this is nothing to do with the mattress. You are right though it is not a ghost.
You said your wife was sleeping at the time? If so she might have been just about to go in to an out of body experience. If this is the case then her brain would have released a chemical which cause your body to vibrate. It doesnt last very long only a couple mins or so.
|

replied October 5th, 2011
Its your heart beating I get I all the time your relaxing so you notice your heart beat more
|

replied January 26th, 2012
thanks for the info, my daughter just bought a pillow top and has been feeling the bed shaking and was scaring the heck out of her. makes sense to me.
|

replied January 3rd, 2009
I thought I was crazy...
I have actually had the same thing happening to me for about a year now. It seems to happen in irregular patterns, but when it happens I'm always just laying down to go to sleep. My bed starts to rock back and forth or shake. It's not a really hard shaking though, and I don't know if anyone would really notice it unless they were lying very still. At first I thought it was my heart beating, making my body shake but I know my heart beat can't be THAT strong. I have experienced what they call "sleep paralysis" before (quite a few times actually), where I felt as though someone was sitting down on my bed right next to my body and whispering in my ear, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't open my eyes. It's a terrifying experience, but luckily it doesn't happen too often anymore. But I definitely wonder about the bed shaking...
|

replied February 1st, 2009
bed/me shaking
i went to see a psychic/medium 3 days ago. she told me (without me even mentioning it) that it is not the bed shaking, it is infact me. she explained that i am infact very psychic and that "spirits" are preparing me, wotever that means, and i would experience paralysis from the neck down but shouldnt be afraid of it.
ive always felt like my bed is slightly vibrating wen im very tired or have woken before, feeling like the bed is actually shaking, even put my hand on the mattress and can feel it moving. maybe we are all a little psychic....
|

replied February 25th, 2009
vibrating bed
this has happened to me on quite a few occassions. starting to FREAK ME OUT. my whole body shakes but not {if you know what i mean} my wife lying beside me doesnt feel any of these vibrations. can anyone tell me what is causing this. serious replies please. im in northern ireland so there is no danger of earth tremors
|

replied February 25th, 2009
vibrating bed
i havent experienced it since i was about 12-13 yrs old but after a recent TAPS episode and mentioning the vibrating bed i decided to do a google search to see if anyone else had experienced it. When i wass younger i was freaked out initially but later chalked it up as my mother possibly doing the laundry before bed(spin cycle). But now as i think about it...why would she be doing laundry so late at night. One particular time i vividly remember seeing the easter bunny(like the one at the malls) hoping slowly down the hallway and i wasnt joyful...i was scared to the point of being mute. trying to yell but nothing comes out. frozen in my bed. cant move, cant speak, just stare in absolute fear. all of this preceded by a constant shaking of my bed...which is what origionally woke me up.
|

replied February 26th, 2009
me too
I have had that too both of them but at different times... I was lying there with my eyes closed and all of a sudden I felt restricted like I couldn't move and I felt like someone was in there trying to scare me and I would try to open my eyes but I couldn't it was very difficult then finally when I was able to open them I broke out in a deep sweat yes it is very terrifying... Happened a few times but when Moved out of the house I was in it stopped.. Now I'm
getting the shaking bed and it spins me out because I never thought too look up on the net about either of them . It was actually by chance I found this post I was looking up something completely different... So does anyone know wat it is yet? My mum was a spiritual lady maybe some of you are right with the whole psychic thing I dunno .. Another thing I always get is as I lie in bed it suddenly feels like I'm floating and there's nothing around me it's not a good feeling I can never gather where I am and I have to grip on my pilow or touch my boyfriend to stop the spinning and feel stable meanwhile I'm really lying dead still it feels sorta like I'm falling into another universe. Anyone get this ??? Hails fx
|
Users who thank Girlfromoz for this post: johnboyscab 

replied April 23rd, 2013
Yes, its pretty frightening. I hope it's the out of body experience as one mentioned and not any of the other ones.
|

replied March 13th, 2009
OMG. IT HAPPENED TO ME LAST NIGHT
it happened to me last night i was about 5 mins into it know cos i went to sleep at around 12, and i woko up at around 12:12 or something, and when i woke up the bed was shaking at first i wasnt scared, i thought it was an earthquake, my cellphone was next to me and so i texted my mom and my gf to ask if theres a earthquake but it was only the bed that was moving, cos when i touched the floor, the floor wasnt moving or anything even things arent falling, so when the shaking stopped i stood up and called up my mom to ask if theres was an earthquake she said no, so that night i googled it too see if there was an earthquake or something i put in "my bed is shaking" and all these things about ghost popped out, freaked me out so much got in the car and slept at my moms house, this isnt the first time it happened but this time, i was really aware of everything feeling everything around me too, so i knew i wasnt dreaming and stuff, can anyone tell me whats happening?
|

replied March 25th, 2009
thank you for this post
This has been happening to me as well. I thought that I had lost it...I originally thought it was the farmers and maybe some farm equipment that they run...it doesn't happen all the time though...and the bed feels as if it is vibrating....I too have a pillowtop mattress...the bed is less than a two years old. I just need this to stop...the waking up is causing me migraines and I am so tired.
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2009
Community Volunteer
In these cases, no matter what religion you are, I think it is important that you go to your phone book and call in a Catholic priest for an exorcism. They are the only ones who have this rite of ceremony. I would do it the first time it happened.

If it is medical only, then it would do no harm. If it is because of the spiritual realm, then it would solve the situation.

Good luck.
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Catholic church? We tried that and of course the priest looked at my husband like he was crazy and refused to help. The catholic church reacted the only way they know how to - with judgement!
|

replied March 28th, 2009
It's the Illuminati Lizard People & Little Grays
It's the Illuminati Lizard People. They send the Little Grays to shake Earthlings' beds. Wink

No, seriously what is going on is *Hypnic jerk*. Do you ever wake up suddenly to a falling sensation and a strong muscle twitch just after you have fallen asleep or feel your bed was shaking?

These strange sensations and muscle twitches are known as a hypnagogic myoclonic twitch or *Hypnic jerk* If this has happened to you on more than one occasion, do not worry, you are not alone. Close to 70 percent of all people experience this phenomenon just after nodding off, according to a recent study at the Mayo Clinic.

Most experts agree that this is a natural part of the sleeping process, much like slower breathing and a reduced heartbeat. The occurance is well known and has been well documented. However, experts are still not completely sure why the body does this.

The general consensus among researchers is that, as your muscles begin to slack and go into a restful state just as you are falling asleep; your brain senses these relaxation signals and misinterprets them, thinking you are falling down. The brain then sends signals to the muscles in your arms and legs in an attempt to jerk you back upright. This misinterpretation that takes place in your brain may also be responsible for the *falling* dreams that accompany the falling sensation or the feeling that your bed is shaking. These *dreams* are not really normal dreams, as they are not produced from R.E.M sleep, but rather more like a daydream or hallucination in response to the bodys sensations.

While this phenomenon happens to most everyone, studies have recently begun to link occurrences of *Hypnic jerks* to sleep anxiety, fatigue, and discomfort. People who are having trouble sleeping or cannot get comfortable in bed appear to experience the sensation more often throughout the night. It is especially more common with people who are trying to fight falling asleep or have deprived themselves of sleep for more than 24 hours.

Researchers believe that the lack of sleep from sleep anxiety or sleep deprivation confuses the muscles and the brain. The muscles continually attempt to relax and shut down for rest, while your brain remains awake creating continued *misinterpretations* of falling or loss of balance which causes the body to jerk and shake the bed.

Scientists and researchers continue to study sleep twitching and jerking in a small capacity, but state that the sensation is completely normal for our bodies and is *of little medical significance*. Our bodies go through several procedures of shutting down and preparing for an extended period of rest. *Hypnic jerking* is just one of them. It does not appear to cause damage to the body and poses no danger to our physical well being.
|
Users who thank Mitford for this post: TRUKE_4  sudis 

replied March 29th, 2009
bed shaking at night
ta muchly for your info greatly appreciated.at least i know its not the funny little people coming to take me away nor do i need an exorcism performed. cheers i might be able to get some sleep and rest easy. I KNOW IM NOT ALONE.........
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
You missed something: Mitford comments that these people are asleep when this Hynic jerk. The shaking bed occurrs when the person in the bed is awake. Just a thought.
|

replied January 16th, 2012
about the bed shaking thing
I seen what u was talking about for several weeks not i have been feeling hard thumps from the bottom of my bed. my husband ask me to stop moving and i told him that it wasnt me. i was wide awake when these thumps happen. tonight really scared me because there was 2 thumps and my husband ask me if i was moving and i said no.... 30 seconds later i would say the whole bed started to jar and rumble we are both wide awake because i was talking to my husband about using the tread millbecause i couldnt go to sleep.
|

replied January 17th, 2012
I can't read any further past the first page but I see you wrote last night and I am wide awake obviously and my bed is shaking right now. So this has been happening for a while and it freaks me out, a lot. What is going on and does anybody have an answer?
|

replied March 30th, 2009
no he said as you are falling asleep, your head might not be asleep but your body shuts downs which sends sensations that can be misinterpreted by the brain as falling or bedshaking..
|

replied September 3rd, 2011
Shaking bed, not an earthquake...
That's just it. I was asleep and was woken up by it, and I was FULLY awake while the shaking was occurring. I made sure it wasn't me, and my wife (asleep soundly) wasn't doing it either. I've had a "Hypnic Jerk" before just before dozing off (many times actually) and I EXPECT it (especially if I'm REALLY tired), but I was AWAKE, and I HONESTLY though my wife was masturbating. I was a little upset, because (TMI on it's way) I was feeling a little frisky as well, but she was "too tired" to do anything. So I woke up UPSET, then realized it wasn't her...Weird. I felt bad because I (mentally) accused her of "starting without me", but then FREAKED when it wasn't her...NO CLUE...
|

replied April 20th, 2012
Spirit
Well everyone can take this for what it's worth...believe it or don't ...I have had these experiences for years. The jerks, I will agree are very explainable. They are a "natural" thing. The bed shaking however is "supernatural". I don't agree with pyschics or mediums but I do know that it is the presence of a spirit that causes this phenomenon. The paralysis is also caused by spirits. I was actually awakened last night to a fierce shaking and awoke to find a spirit leaning over my bed. When u get in those situations u don't need a catholic priest because they are not the only ones who have the right to cast out spirits. We all have that privalege. Call on the name of Jesus and they must flee. It doesn't mean that they won't continue to return but Jesus' name is always available. God bless!
|

replied May 5th, 2012
I have had sleep paralysis since I was a child. Did not find out what it was until I went to a sleep specialist when I was in my twenty's. I have also felt like the bed was shaking when I was going to sleep and thought it was in my 'head' for a long time. One morning after working a night shift my husband was lying next to me holding me while I was falling asleep. I asked him; "do you feel me shaking" he replied "YES" and then knew it was me not in my head. It tends to happen when I am more worn out then normal. I don't know what it is.
|

replied May 5th, 2012
One thing I should mention is when I went to the sleep specialist he told me that all the things I feel durning a sleep paralysis episode are hallucinations. People that have sleep paralysis have auditory, visual,or tactile hallucinations (one or all) I have auditory. I was tested for narcolepsy and it was negative. My son has visual and auditory. Lucky for him I was able to tell him when he was a child what it was when he told me what was happening when he was falling asleep. Both my sons have this and my nephew. It's probably hereditary.
|
Quick Reply