Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

because of the asthma, I feel like I am going to die...

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
I have terrible allergies and asthma. On top of this, I have serious anxiety and stress. I want to know if the thought of an asthma attack scares anyone else. It's so scary to me! I am only 19 and because of the asthma, I feel like I am going to die from an attack. I am taking singulair, preventative inhaler, rescue inhaler when needed, allergra, busperone(for anxiety) 10mg, and then daily viatamins. I am also starting allergy shots(they also give me terrible anxiety- im afraid of a possible reaction)I am always conscerned that my rescue inhaler will not work, or that I will use it inproperly. I would LOVE to stop worrying about asthma. Plus, I rarely wheez. My syptoms are chest tightness, stiff neck and back pain, and feeling like my throat is either super goopy or super dry. Please help! I never know whether its asthma or just my damn ANXIETY.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 9th, 2012
Hi,
I feel your pain. I too have asthma(since age 7-8 or 9 cant remember) I also have severe anxiety/ panic attacks. Due to the anxiety I have gained phobias. The two being severe allergic reactions and asthma attacks. My attacks are mild and only really get them if I have a bad chest cold(thank g-d). I would recommend getting a peak flow meter and use that to monitor your asthma. Which is what I do, I know my numbers and if I start feeling tight or short on breath and use my peak flow and it is normal I normally can rule out asthma and it is my anxiety. It does help put the mind at ease a lot. Also you can take a hit of the albuterol and if that helps your symptoms then ya know it wasnt anxiety and was asthma. Good luck.
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Thank you! Sorry you've had asthma for a while. I just developed it a year ago. It's scary stuff. I have the same exact phobias you do. Is there anything you do besides medicine to help with anxiety/ asthma issues? I've heard coffee is good to drink if you feel an asthma attack coming on. This is all so new to me. Just trying to get others advice and opinions. Thanks so much!
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Thanks, asthma is pretty scary. I am currently not on any anxiety medications, even though I should be hahah. Coffee is good for asthma, also steam is good hot showers etc. Not forgetting to take you medicine is crucial to control. Do you feel the anxiety meds you are on are helping with anxiety at all? I have been contemplating meds for a while now.
|

replied April 10th, 2012
I was really hesitant to taking anxiety medication. So were my parents, but my doctor said I needed it. I think it is helping a little. For example, I'm better at handling situations. A year ago if I felt i was having an asthma issue I would have started to panic way worse and wouldv'e demanded someone take me to the hospital. Haha, not a fun situation. So it has helped me, but I think since I have such bad allergies still I am more easily anxious. I'm taking Buspirone 10mg and I like that it hasn't altered my personality at all- that was my biggest scare with it all.

But, when you have asthma issues, do you feel like your chest is almost being pulled apart. I find that it feels like my skin on my chest is like stretching or something. Idk, its a weird sensation. I also feel like my shoulders and my neck get super tense. Its awful! It could be the anxiety though, just seeing if this is a common asthma issue
|

replied April 10th, 2012
I also sometimes get concerned that I have acid reflux. I have difficulty fully digesting my food sometimes. And I wonder if that could be what is causing the chest pain and even sometiems burning feeling?
|

replied April 10th, 2012
asthma and anxiety have similar symptoms. One way I can tell the difference is I can feel it in my throat. My throat feels constricted and I can feel the way I breathe change. Anxiety is more of a panicking. Faster breaths, can't catch a breathe vs being short of breath. But I do get tight chest and what you spoke about. You'll know the difference when it happens. Best thing is just not to think about it. Stress and worry can bring on attacks in certain people. I know I am one to talk but I am trying hah.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
Haha yea I overthinking everything. If I feel like my food gets stuck then that's all I think about and if I feel like I have an asthma issue it's all I think of. It's awful. Thanks for all your help and input.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
Experienced User
I'm researching asthma at the moment and wonder if you eat a lot of or any refined sugar and do you feel very tired before an attack, also allergens if that's ok
|

replied April 15th, 2012
Allergens arethe main source of my asthma issues I think.
|