Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

beating very hard and slow

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
User Profile
Hi I'm 16 , I was in my bed trying to fall a sleep but than I have touched my chest and felt like my heart is not beating than it was beating very hard and slow , it felt like it was about to pop out , I'm fit but I smoke a electronic cigarette , I'm skinny , should I go and see a doctor ? Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A35394
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Palpitations or awareness of heart beat are quite common while exercising. However, if they occur at rest, then they need to be evaluated.

Amongst the general diseases, a low hemoglobin (anemia) and hyperthyroidism are important causes. For ruling out the cardiac causes, you might need further tests like an echocardiography, 24 hour EKG monitoring etc. However, anxiety is one of the commonest causes of palpitations. You should also get your blood pressure checked and try to stop smoking. Please do consult a physician for the same.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.