Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

BB stuck in hand

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
hows it going. so heres the story...
in 2005 or 2006 cant really remember, i shot myself in the hand with a high powered c02 pistol. it was a lead bb. i shot myself in the upper palm of my hand. it bounced off my middle finger palm bone and settled in between my pointer and middle finger palm bone. i went to the hospital immediately and tried to poke at it but they said they were too scared about my nerves and what-not. they made a small incision and poked around with a needle. they gave me antibiotics and all was well. about 3 weeks after i went to a hand doctor and i was confident that i could carry on without having it removed (i was scared to have them cut it out of me)... very stupid of me. the hand doctor said there could be a chance he could cut my nerves and i could loose the control of my hand/fingers. all was well if nothing poked it directly. if it was poked it would bang against my bone and thats not very comfortable.

so here i am years later. im really sick of this bb. i don't know if I've been thinking about it more or its actually been irritating me more. i want to be able to not have to worry about having someone grab my hand the wrong way or get lead poisoning. my hand has gotten fatter from the tissue growing around it. i also believe it has risen to the surface within the last few years. when i close my hand about half way and i brush my fingers over the spot where i shot myself i can feel the bb in my hand.

i have no health insurance.

i would like to take a razor and cut the skin and maby get tweezers or needle nose pliers and pull the baby out. is this dangerous from all the tissue grown around it? what do i do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
If a doctor was nervous about cutting it out, why do you feel that you can do it safely?! If you do cut it out, something will go wrong and you will end up having a larger medical bill than if you'd just gone to the doctor and had it taken care of. You don't know where the nerves, tendons, and blood vessels are. You will cut something that you shouldn't and cause yourself permanent damage or get an infection. An infection that gets into the bloodstream can spread quite easily. You could lose your finger, or worse. How easy would it be to support yourself and your family without your hand?

Besides, have you thought about how much it would hurt to cut into your own hand without numbing medication?

Don't do it. Save up some money and go to the doctor.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
how much would it be to go for an appointment and then surgery.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You will have to call a doctor about that. I have no way of knowing the cost of something like that. Perhaps you can negotiate a payment plan. Also, some doctors will give you a discount if you don't have insurance and pay upfront. The surgery would probably be outpatient. However, since the doctors have advised against having it removed before, they still may think it's too risky.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
is it more dangerous to remove it now because the tissue has grown around it?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I think only a doctor can answer that, but maybe. It's possible that some of the bone has grown around it, even.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Wow really don't ever attempt bathtub surgery on yourself and for that matter not even on other people. People die for that stuff frightenningly often. If a doctor was nervous about performing surgery it's just madness to contemplate doing it yourself reguardless of how simple the situation looks.

If you feel the BB has shifted consult a different doctor. Every State in America and most major cities around the world have free clinics. The wait is often long but if there's a health reason to remove it they'll do it for you.

As for lead poisonning the worst of it is done, you've had that BB in you for 3+ years. By now it's pretty well insulated in scar tissue with very little of the lead dissolving into your bloodstream anymore.
|
Users who thank W0LF for this post: MyrahU