Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Bathing frequency

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
Hi there,
I could not find a better place to post my question, so I hope this is the best one.
I am just wondering how often one should take a bath or a shower. For many years I've been doing it for 2 or 3 times a week, but I would like to know what is the frequency that doctors recommend. I googled around and I could not find a definitive answer; many say once a day, but they do not back up their claim (with science Wink). I also read that too much baths can cause some skin diseases, but they do not specify how much is too much, so I am really curious about this.
Thanks in advance

Hugo
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Ruthmurphy
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I can see why that is a hard question to answer, considering that bathing is very often a cultural based opinion. Some cultures shun bathing, others really care about hygiene.

I expect you are looking for a medical related advice, as in, what is the recommended amount of showering to ensure safety from catching sicknesses, etc? I'm not sure you will find such an answer other than asking a few doctors yourself on the matter. I personally doubt they have a actual study based answer to give you, this sort of question isn't something many people have probably decided to experiment and find optimum health per shower sort of thing.

I personally think 2-3 times per week is lacking, people very often begin to smell "human" within 2 days I would say. I take 1-3 showers a day minimum, not because of hygiene issues, but I can't stand the idea of going to bed with germs that I picked up all day and smothering my bed with it while I am sleeping with my immune system down, and I need a shower after I wake up to well, wake up. This causes me problems during the wintertime though, I get dry skin as a result of having washed out my natural body oils.

So I'd recommend at least once every day or two days.
|

replied February 1st, 2009
mikolas is just a germ freak, lol.. sorry but 1-3 times a day?

I've been bathing 2-3 times a week my whole life.. and germs don't come eat me while I sleep. I rarely get colds and am fit. Just do what works for you. If you sweat a lot, or people edge away from you on the bus, you can up it a bit, but dont go nuts.
|

replied February 5th, 2009
i also shower about twice a week. i don't sweat a lot, even when i work out, so i don't feel dirty. if you were having skin problems, or something like that, maybe you should consider showering more, but really it just depends on your body. i personally hate showering more often than this because i have eczema and showers break my skin out, and anyway, no one tells me i smell funny (lol!) even when i ask (and my friends would tell me if i did lol!) so i wouldn't worry about it unless you actually have issues from it.
|

replied February 5th, 2009
I shower at least 6 times a week. I workout almost every day so I have to take a shower after I sweat.
|

replied March 8th, 2009
sun cancer?
A friend of mine is a retired Dr and while working he went to spam unapproved for some convention.

Anyway.... he told my family that showering and using shower gels etc actually wash off your natural oils in the skin therefore lessoning your body's protection from the sun.

I may be wrong but what about in the 'olden' days - the Victorians were known for their lack of batheing - did they get skin cancer? It's a relatively new illness - right? maybe I'm wrong ) I havent googles my history on this - just what I remember.

I too shower twice a week - I dont have a strenuous job - and sorry but I dont do gym - got two wee kids to keep me active.

My eldest has eczema and the nurses told me to bathe him less rather than more - as cyanideandsugar says above - it breaks out the skin.

And yes Im sure my freinds would say if I smelled - I knew a new mum who went for 2 weeks without a shower - but she was so relieved when she finally got one =-)
|

replied April 18th, 2009
cleanliness is next to godliness;
Wake up in the morning - Do your business and take a damn shower for crying out loud.Keep your body clean and prepare for the dirt the world has to offer for the day.

Goto work, collect dust and dirt on your skins pores, come back home and slip into a quick shower. No need to use soap during a quickie.Chemicals in the soap is what causes all the dryness of the skin, so use soap sparingly if needed during quickies.

Cook/go out/play/work out , come back wash off your dirty hands,smelly face,underarm pits & pubic stink for screaming out loud, take a long warm shower for a long relaxing sleep before dinner. post dinner, brush, floss and listerine your teeth.

avoid baths if you are a man.
|

replied April 18th, 2009
No need to be so rude - do yo have young kids?

looks like you have all the time in the world - some mums have to make do with time for washing at a sink DAILY - like me - while kids are running under our feet - im not saying all mums but you try finding time to do your 3-4 showers a day when you've got screaming kids and work a 50-60 hour week.

i thought this website was about sharing info not critising others
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2009
Supporter
I have a skin condition called eczema and my allergist told me to take quick, lukewarm showers rather than long hot ones, not to soak in the tub unless I added whole milk or body oil to the water, to try to only bathe once a day... He also told me that it was not necessary to bathe every day. However, he only meant a full bath or shower. It is still necessary to clean your underarms, genitals, rear end and feet EVERY DAY or you will begin to stink. You can take what some people call a sink bath/ wash off/ French bath (sorry if this term offends anyone) where you use a wash cloth and a sink full of water to cleanse these essential areas.
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
wow I think everyone knows how to brush their teeth and wash their hands thank you. water also dries out your skin and taking 3 showers a day is ridiculous no one should have to take more than one shower in a normal day how dirty can you get in 4 hours really? besides women can't just shower and go we have to worry about our hair (mine takes like an hour to dry and do) and make up which I don't have time for 3 times a day. Also that's a LOT of extra laundry....
p.s. I've heard that for healthy hair and skin it's best to shower once every other day
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
please help
I need an educational video or explination to show a disable individual the importance of a shower in refferance to pesonal hygene and health any ideas
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2010
Supporter
You can go on YouTube and find lots of videos on hygiene. Just type in search words like hygiene or personal hygiene and a whole list of videos that meet that criteria.
Please edit your post and remove your email address as that is against the Terms of Service. Any response notices will go to your email. If you would like a private message, other users can private message you here on the site.
|

replied October 4th, 2010
i also take a shower 2-3 times in a day..its really good for health and after that i feel so much freshness

|

replied January 25th, 2011
I have 2x a day. But I also sweat a lot and workout every second day. Sometimes I will have more if I am going out somewhere, but very quick showers. I wish they had Bidets in homes in spam unapproved...
|

replied March 20th, 2011
I shower twice a day ONLY if I workout and I'm out or if it's insanely humid. Otherwise, once a day on days where I leave my home.

There are stretches of days where I don't leave my home (I work from home) and I'll skip showering completely. During strings like that I notice that I'm a bit more "organic" around day three. Of course, as soon as I have to go out and interact with other people I shower or bathe. I'm not offended by my scent, so if it's just me, myself and I, I'm probably not going to worry about it. Of course, other basic hygiene like brushing my teeth and washing my hands goes on.
|

replied June 4th, 2011
frequency of bathing
Okay folks,imo, not criticising... once a day, twice if you need it. Yes, an extra for those special occassions. Not going out or coming into contact with others... wait as long as you can possibly stand yourself, no one cares, but you.
I have a neighbour who baths, not showers, every 2 - 4 hours, no joke. This is obsessive compulsive disorder for sure. No one gets that dirty or needs to be clean after every little effort they do during the day. For anyone bathing/showering more than 2 - 3 times pending what's gone on in your day, maybe ask your doctor if you have health or OCD. If you sweat excessively talk to your doctor, there are things that can be done for this. You are drying out your skin, you are robbing it of natural oils and natural germs that you need to defend your skin and body from the nasty germs and free radicals we face daily.
Besides wouldn't you rather have a life!
|

replied July 21st, 2011
OMG how do you know your neighbor bathes every 2-4 hours? Are you a voyeurist? haha... Just kidding.
I'ts a cultural matter. I shower once a day and it would be a crime not to... It's just the way we were raised. I know that in Germany for example, they shower a lot less frequently, about once a week. And just another thing: Other people that showers the same frequency as yourself, wont notice your smell because it becomes 'normal'. But in my case the germans i knew were SMELLY (in caps) for sure. But i bet they didn't know about it and other germans won't perceive each-other smell.
|

replied July 29th, 2013
Shower frequency
I shower once a week, weather I need it or not. When I began pushing it I did smell after 1 day, because my sebaceous glands had been overcompensating for my constantly removing sebum. (Natural oils) Now that I only shower weekly, I do not smell, nor do I use deodorant or smelly good. I do wash my hands and face 2-3. Times daily. This is better for yer skin and hair, not to mention that I have better luck with women when I allow my fairmones to flow freely.
|