Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Bartholin Gland drainage

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hi,
I have had three re-occurances of a bartholin gland cyst. The first one I found, I went to the doctor to have a catheter put in but, it broke during the procedure. The second time, the doctor was able to get the catheter in and I had it there for 14 days. I never seen the cyst again till about 10 years later. The last one, I had about 6 months ago swelled to the size of a walnut! I was in alot of pain while it was swollen and I could not sit or lay or anything due to the largeness of it! I did the sitz baths for two days and used the hottest water I could stand and then finally, it ruptured!!!! Immediate relief!!! I have since then, gone to the doctor to have it looked at and tested for infection and they could not find anything wrong with it. Since the rupture, I have had a discharge that comes from the gland opening,(the catheter left a large hole),and it drains from there. It is an off white sometimes mixed with clear liquid that has been tested and is free of infection. That substance coming from the gland opening does also have a sort of unpleasent odor. I have been told many times from the gyno that it is NOT infected and there is nothing wrong with it but its off white and somewhat smelly. I have to live day to day with this and it doesn't seem normal to me. The doctor refuses to give me the surgery and swears it will leave. Can anyone relate to this drainage after the bartholin gland cyst has ruptured? Please help, I dont even want to have sex anymore because of the odor from the gland. What do I do??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Angie, I'm sorry you have to go through this. It sounds like a rough condition to be stuck with, especially when your doctor doesn't seem to be doing much about it. If the condition isn't going away and you doubt your doctors opinion, I would recommend going to a different doctor to see what they have to say about it. If they say it will go away on its own and advise against surgery as well, I would unfortunately just wait it out and trust the doctors. If the second doctor says that the surgery you want is a reasonable option and you think it would improve your life then go for it. I would definitely always go to a different doctor and get a second opinion if you ever doubt your normal doctor on anything though, because its reassuring to hear news from two different people if they say the same thing or its nice to hear you were right/first doctor was wrong if they say that.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2009
Bartholin gland drainage
I to have to live with this discharge everyday of my life.The only difference between us is there's no odor with mine.My suggestion to you is if you douche ...stop.I was told by a number of doctors that Douching messes with the hormonial balance of a womans system....this includes your natural body Chemistry and Odor.Try this for about a month,if you just have to douche do it with plain water fragrance free only.I promise you'll see a difference.
|

replied April 7th, 2010
I am trying to shrink my cyst with sitz baths and I think it is working. Today I noticed a small amount of brown discharge. How do you know if it actually comes from the gland? It was inside the vagina, not outside near the labia. My lump (cyst) seems smaller but still in tact. Anyone have brown vaginal discharge like this? I am thinking it had a small amount of blood in it to make it that color.
|

replied March 4th, 2014
Constant drainage from labia after Bartholin Gland Cyst drained
Hi I know this is years ago but I came upon this post when I was looking into what could be going on with my V. A couple years ago I went to the ER to have my 6th bartholin cyst drained. It seems that this last time, the nurse cut me too close to the outside of my V and therefore I now have CONSTANT drainage. The drainage is a milky white and has a weird smell to it. Not fishy or foul but kinda sweet and just weird. I have gotten in the habit of pressing down on my lip to help remove the discharge almost every time I use the bathroom. I am so irritated by all of this. I know this is not normal and I am not sure what to do about it. My doctor has done tests and there is no infection. It is just very annoying and I am very self conscience of it at all times especially during sex. Anyone else having this problem and know what to do about it? It has been over 2 years and it has not closed on its own.
|