Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

bartholin cyst rupture (Page 1)

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
My bartholin cyst ruptured three days. There was a huge relief from pain. Yellow pus came out. A few hours later, it stopped draining. Although it became much smaller and painless, it is still tender. I think it stopped draining. Should I be worried?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mangocheeks
|

replied July 27th, 2008
keep taking sitz baths. Boil an egg, put it in a white sock and use it as a hot pack. These come back over and over. I have had mine drained twice, very painful, and 8 years ago, I had surgery. They cut it and sewed it somehow, but it's back again after 8 years. They put me out for the surgery and it wasn't bad at all. Do the surgery and save yourself the misery. I have suffered with this since I was 18 and I'm now 51. I guess I'm facing surgery again. Sometimes they burst on their own, but not always.
|

replied August 6th, 2008
hi
hi had bartholin cyst but its not painful nor infected, i have it since jan 2008, that time i was 8 months pregnant and my doctor planned to remove it when i gave birth but after birth its finally gone, then cameback again like a marble size then i started using hot compressand sitz bath and become smaller. i never feel any pain, and i dont wanna drain it coz i red some story that it keep coming back and as long as its not infected i think its fine, coz i red that not infected cyst can treat at home,
|

replied July 26th, 2009
well i just found out that i had a bartholins cyst and well i am sad...my doctor gave me some meds...for the infection and well i am just waiting for it to rupture on its own....Will it hurt????
|

replied March 31st, 2011
RE about rupture
the rupture won't seem to hurt at all in comparison to the pain of the cyst and inflammation. it will be a relief! look forward to it!
|

replied February 7th, 2011
I have had Bartlion cysts since I was 18 and I am now 55.

I just had one over the past week and a half that swelled up quite large and was very hard. I took many sits baths to hopefully cause it to drain on its own.

Three days ago I started using Epsom Salts in the water and soaked for a good half hour.

The cyst still not break, so I went to my family doctor and he confirmed that it was a Bartlion Cyst and gave me a shot of antibiotic and a prescription to take home.

As soon as I got home I soaked a long time in Epsom Salts and in the middle of that night the cyst ruptured and drained a lot of puss and blood.

No it did not hurt when it ruptured. And since it has ruptured the gland has shrunk and does not hurt at all. I am still taking my Epsom Salts baths regularly until it is healed.

I also had surgery to have the gland removed. But apparently it did not work, since this is the same gland on the same side; always the same side.

Good luck... I feel your pain.
|

replied September 5th, 2011
Cyst
I have had this problem since 2005 and I must admit it is VERY painful. You can't walk let alone sit. Laying down is your best option and sitting in a bath tub with hot water always helps with the pain. I've had 2 procedures already from 2005 till 2011 and after having a cyst rupture this past week and spending 3 days not being able to walk or do anything on my own. I now find myself asking if I should remove the glands at 27 years of age. Getting something this painful, and very often mind you. I might just be ready for the surgery to remove the glands completely.
|

replied February 10th, 2012
iv been in pain since saturday with my bartholin cyst, last night ( thursday) i was in sooo much pain it honestly felt like i was in early stages of labour, i was on all fours cryin, ( it takes a lot to get me in such a state!) ... i did go drs last monday i was given some antibiotics and pain killers, the painkillers didnt even take the edge off, i cauldnt sit or sleep was horroble!! ... so last nght in so much pain i called nhs for some advice, i discribed what was happening and she said it may of got infected, and to go back to the drs friday or a&e... iv got a bad cold at the minuit and to coughin was so painful!!! ... however at 5.30am today i woke up to find the bed and my pj bottoms were wet, id read previouse that they can burst, it wasnt painful anymore!! ... i ran into the bathroom snd sure enough it had burst there was a lit of blood an puss iv gave it a few gentle squeezes to get as much out as poss, then had s hot shower, im still a lil warey togh!!! its werd bein able to sit!! couthin no longer hurts, iv bin lyin in bed in all sorts of posisions to see if it doesnt hurt im so pleased!!! i just hope it doesnt come back any time soon!!! jo age 22 =]
|

replied February 10th, 2012
iv been in pain since saturday with my bartholin cyst, last night ( thursday) i was in sooo much pain it honestly felt like i was in early stages of labour, i was on all fours cryin, ( it takes a lot to get me in such a state!) ... i did go drs last monday i was given some antibiotics and pain killers, the painkillers didnt even take the edge off, i cauldnt sit or sleep was horroble!! ... so last nght in so much pain i called nhs for some advice, i discribed what was happening and she said it may of got infected, and to go back to the drs friday or a&e... iv got a bad cold at the minuit and to coughin was so painful!!! ... however at 5.30am today i woke up to find the bed and my pj bottoms were wet, id read previouse that they can burst, it wasnt painful anymore!! ... i ran into the bathroom snd sure enough it had burst there was a lit of blood an puss iv gave it a few gentle squeezes to get as much out as poss, then had s hot shower, im still a lil warey togh!!! its werd bein able to sit!! couthin no longer hurts, iv bin lyin in bed in all sorts of posisions to see if it doesnt hurt im so pleased!!! i just hope it doesnt come back any time soon!!! jo age 22 =]
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Home remedy to burst cyst
This home remedy worked for me: bought 2 essential oils: lavendar and tea tree oil. Went home, took sitz bath with epsom salts, then made an ointment of 1 tablespoon of organic olive oil, 1 drop of lavendar oil, 1 drop of tea tree oil and mix together. take a cotton swab and wipe the area of the cyst / abscess with this ointment and it will burst on its own after a few days! I have had them over and over had catheter, marsipulization and kept comming back- at least now there's a home remedy that WORKS!!
|

replied August 29th, 2012
I'm 19 and have been suffering from Bartholin cysts for several years. They were always small and hard and would disappear on their own after a few months. My first AWFUL one was in March 2012 and after visiting a&e I was put in for Marsupialisation the following day. What a relief. The recovery time was quick and although I was upset at the scar that had been left, 6 months later it is no more than a thin purple line and does not bother me as much.
Come August 2012 (just 6 months after my op!) I got another cyst which let me tell you was just the most god awful pain I have ever experienced. I was on my hands and knees howling in pain and didn't sleep for 3 days. I couldn't walk, sit or go to the toilet. I knew the hospital was unlikely to operate on me again and suspected they would favour lancing and draining which I have read horror stories about (I can only take so much pain!). So, I religiously held a hot compress on the cyst and alternated between that and an ice pack. I also slept with a tea tree oil soaked cotton pad rested against it with a hot water bottle to heat it up. The next day i went to a&e in excrutiating amounts of pain. She said there was a head on the cyst and that it was likely to drain itself soon. I was put on penicillian to fight infection and given cocodamol. On the way home from the hospital my cyst burst (probably due to a brief and very painful coughing fit I had in the car). Nevertheless it was an instant relief and although it was a rather gruesome and foul smelling mix of blood, puss and gunk I felt as though it were a miracle! I sat in a hot bath and gently massaged more gunk out until I was satisfied it was all out. The lump is still there and I will have salt baths for the next week or so and continue taking antibiotics. I plan on sleeping with a hot water bottle rested there again tonight to ensure it is fully drained.
|

replied September 20th, 2012
I'm new to this but I just had a bartholin cyst drain on its own I'm on two antibiotics and pain pills. My husband and I are a very sexual couple and are trying to conceive. When is a good time to start having intercourse again?
|

replied September 30th, 2012
Did it drain on its own or swell to the point of bursting? I've had several Bartholin cysts. The second one resolved itself without any discharge. My body just seemed to take care of it internally. I waited at least one week after the cyst COMPLETELY disappeared (squeeze the area to check for the telltale lump) before my husband and I had sex again. It would probably be best to wait two weeks... But I know that's hard to do. If you experience any discomfort when you start having sex again, stop and hold off a few more days.

Now, if it burst (like my last one just did), you should wait much longer than one week. You'll need at least 3 weeks for it to heal.
|

replied November 15th, 2012
After your bartholin cyst just went away w/o rupturing were all signs of it gone? I had the same thing happen but it left behind a white painless area. My school nurse said its just something that can happen but I just want to hear from other people as well!
|

replied November 19th, 2012
Bartholin's cyst/abscess
I had i bartholin's cyst/abcess about 3 years back and i squeezed it until it just popped. Alot of pus came out with a little blood and it drained blood afterwards. A few weeks ago i started feeling a lump again and after about 3 weeks it got huge in a couple of days. I tried squeezing it again to make it pop and i could feel a softened area so i would try to pop it everytime i went to the bathroom. It was very very painful. I got a couple painkillers from my dad and a couple 800mg Ibuprophens which is a anti inflammitory, i think those helped a little bit. This morning i woke up and went to the bathroom and tried squeezing again and nothiing, so i went back to bed. When i got back up from a nap i didnt really feel any pain and thought that was odd. I went to the bathroom and wiped myself and to my suprise it popped by itself. I was so happy..i squeezed a little and alot of blood and pus came out but i was such a huge relief!! I did do the sitz baths for about 10-20 minutes almost everyday and im sure that helped alot too. If it hadnt burst on its own i think i would have gone to the ER if it got any bigger. I recommend taking anti inflammatorys and sitz baths to help it along its was and be patient if you dont want to go to the doctor. I know i didnt want to go to the doctor because of the traumatic experience i had with a perianal abcess and i was awake for the whole surgery and the needles they used to numb me were excruciating. Anyways, i have a question for anyone who can answer it. Are Bartholin gland cysts/abcess's hereditary? My mom also had a Bartholin's cyst and she had her whole duct/gland removed.
|

replied November 19th, 2012
first bartholins cyst 5 days after childbirth
i just had a baby 1 week ago, natural homebirth, with no damage or swelling at all, so 5 days after birth, when i developed a sore swollen area in the space of a few hours, i had no idea what was happening!
by the evening , i couldn't sit down, and even walking hurt, so i went into the labour ward, as asked by the midwife to get checked out, and thats when it was diagnosed as a bartholins cyst.
never had anything like this before and i am 38.such a shame after such a straight forward birth, that i end up suffering down below as a result of this instead!
very depressing.

the doctors were as good as useless, basically telling me to take some antibiotics, and the ob]nly thing they could offer to fix it was marsupialization, which would require a general anesthetic, meaning they would not let me breastfeed my 5 day old baby for 24 hours!
we would also be separated for a time, and that just is not an option for me AT ALL unless i'm on my deathbed!
i asked if i could have a spinal instead, so it wouldn't interfer with breastfeeding, and i could but would have to be in hospital overnight!
from everything i have read, as soon as you start fiddling around with surgery, it becomes a never ending merry-go-round!
i had a follow up visit yesterday, and the doctor couldn't answer any of my questions such as:
- why take antibiotics of you believe its only a cyst at the moment? pointless exercise isn't it? her answer: well, just in case! so i take antibiotics and affect mine and the babies gut flora and possibly end up with thrush, when theres no guarantee i even need it, or it will even work?
- if i have the surgery ,will that fix it??
her answer...who knows, but if you want to ,we can try it!

who's supposed to be the experts here??? for goodness sake!

the original, senior doctor i saw, said the best scenario, is that i do nothing, it decreases in size and eventually goes away with no interference.
he said people often go in for the surgery only to have it recur time and time again, and its better to be conservative and do less if i can help it, so that left me really, in a place, where i can take antibiotics and have surgery and hope it works, with no guarantees, or try something else first with no guarantees, so i went to see an old homeopath, who did his consultation and recommended i try new era silicon dioxide 6x, SILICA 12, 4 tabs under the tongue, 3 times a day.
also a hot / cold sitz bath , bum in the hot for 3 mins with feet in the cold, then reversed for 1 minute, and repeated 3 times , making 15 mins total.
i have to do this 3 times a day, with epsom salts in the water, to which i add lavender and tea tree oil.
he also told me to apply calendula ointment inernally and externally, and take 1000mg of vit c a day also.

i only started this regimine yesterday, so can't report any changes yet, but i sure hope it works...

my cyst doesn't look like the pics on the internet, where you can see a bulging egg like cyst inside... you can't really see anything when you look inside , but you can certainly feel a lump the size of a small birds egg when you feel there, it seems deeper inside, so i don't know how i'll get rid of this thing...
when you have a one week old baby, you don't really have time to be doing all this mucking about...
|

replied November 27th, 2012
Just got home from my second Marsup op. I'm sick of this hell.
|

replied May 6th, 2013
Just had my second cyst in the space of a month, It was the most painful experience I have ever gone through, but today was the only time I did something about it, I would normally just lie in bed and hope for the best, I sat in a hot bath for half an hour, held ice to it and had a hot water bottle held to it, but after 12 hours it felt like it was getting worse, i had planned to go to the doctor the very next morning as I literally had tears streaming down my face with the pain, I read online that if you mixed chamomile lotion, witch hazel oil and tea tree oil together it would ease the pain, I only had the tea tree oil at home and decided to hell with it i'll try it! I literally poured some onto a cotton pad and placed it on the lump, it burned like hell and i had to take it off after a minute, but to my surprise it ruptured! I would strongly recommend the tea tree oil! It saved me!
|

replied May 29th, 2013
bartholin cyst
I actually diagnosed myself with a bartholin cyst when I went to the e.r., and so the doctor came in, and without even looking at it tells me I have the worst uti he's ever seen and that I'm dehydrated. So I say ok well what about this lump on my Vagina that hurts? Well he says, oh yeah its a bartholin cyst but should go away on it's own, then proceeds to tell me to find a gyno. Looked around n couldn't find a doctor close enough who accepted my insurance. Two days later this thing gets bigger and is beginning to hurt, not to mention there was a cloudy/milky drainage (no odor), and began to itch. So I go back to the e.r., and the doctor at least looks at it and confirms it is bartholins, but says there's nothing he can do. I explain to him that I have never heard of this and that my husband and I have been having troubles and that I'm concerned it's an std. He pats me on my leg and says well honey if you don't trust your husband use condoms, but I'll give you a general std shot to calm your mind. No smear, no swipe, nothing. Then he says he'll give me a shot for pain but to go home n do sits baths 3xs a day and find a doctor, but that there's nothing they can do about it in the e.r.. On top of all this he prescribes a narcotic that the nurse shoots me with that clearly states in my chart that I'm allergic to. After the first shot I ask her what the second shot was and she said it's the antibiotic. So I asked what the first one was and she said torodal. I nearly crawled out of my skin, and screamed I'm allergic. Her reaction was "well tell me what you want me to do sweetie? ". I about blew a fuse! Needless to say, yes I am suing for malpractice. Anyway, day three rolls around and now this thing is Hugh, I can't sit, I can't stand, walk lie down or anything else. It gets so big that it swells all the way up to my clitoris. Now I can't even pee. So my niece takes me to a different hospital where they confirm the same thing, but within seconds decide it needed to be lanced. And yes ladies it is as painful as everything you read describes. I had to hold a pillow to my face just for the numbing shots and before it even kicked in he was cutting. My niece said she could hear screaming all the way out in the waiting room. Then the shot of antibiotic they gave hurt just as much. By the time my niece came to the room she thought I was having seizures because the whole bed was shaking. These things are no joke, but thankfully this doctor helped and explained that the discharge and itching can be caused by the cyst as well, but to be sure he did a smear. Now it's day three and I still have the stint in but every little thing that touches it makes it hurt. Lots of drainage, and antibiotics two and one four times a day. It still is sore but I have so much more relief. I pray I never have to go thru this again. Bottom line for me is that never again will I settle for just one or two doctors opinions! Although many have their hypothesis on what causes it, nobody really knows what the exact cause is. Can't wait for the stint to be removed and get back to normal life. Let's just say my husband got really lucky, because other sites say that it can be caused by gonareah, or chlamydia. One less bullet I have to waste Lol.
|

replied May 29th, 2013
I actually diagnosed myself with a bartholin cyst when I went to the e.r., and so the doctor came in, and without even looking at it tells me I have the worst uti he's ever seen and that I'm dehydrated. So I say ok well what about this lump on my Vagina that hurts? Well he says, oh yeah its a bartholin cyst but should go away on it's own, then proceeds to tell me to find a gyno. Looked around n couldn't find a doctor close enough who accepted my insurance. Two days later this thing gets bigger and is beginning to hurt, not to mention there was a cloudy/milky drainage (no odor), and began to itch. So I go back to the e.r., and the doctor at least looks at it and confirms it is bartholins, but says there's nothing he can do. I explain to him that I have never heard of this and that my husband and I have been having troubles and that I'm concerned it's an std. He pats me on my leg and says well honey if you don't trust your husband use condoms, but I'll give you a general std shot to calm your mind. No smear, no swipe, nothing. Then he says he'll give me a shot for pain but to go home n do sits baths 3xs a day and find a doctor, but that there's nothing they can do about it in the e.r.. On top of all this he prescribes a narcotic that the nurse shoots me with that clearly states in my chart that I'm allergic to. After the first shot I ask her what the second shot was and she said it's the antibiotic. So I asked what the first one was and she said torodal. I nearly crawled out of my skin, and screamed I'm allergic. Her reaction was "well tell me what you want me to do sweetie? ". I about blew a fuse! Needless to say, yes I am suing for malpractice. Anyway, day three rolls around and now this thing is Hugh, I can't sit, I can't stand, walk lie down or anything else. It gets so big that it swells all the way up to my clitoris. Now I can't even pee. So my niece takes me to a different hospital where they confirm the same thing, but within seconds decide it needed to be lanced. And yes ladies it is as painful as everything you read describes. I had to hold a pillow to my face just for the numbing shots and before it even kicked in he was cutting. My niece said she could hear screaming all the way out in the waiting room. Then the shot of antibiotic they gave hurt just as much. By the time my niece came to the room she thought I was having seizures because the whole bed was shaking. These things are no joke, but thankfully this doctor helped and explained that the discharge and itching can be caused by the cyst as well, but to be sure he did a smear. Now it's day three and I still have the stint in but every little thing that touches it makes it hurt. Lots of drainage, and antibiotics two and one four times a day. It still is sore but I have so much more relief. I pray I never have to go thru this again. Bottom line for me is that never again will I settle for just one or two doctors opinions! Although many have their hypothesis on what causes it, nobody really knows what the exact cause is. Can't wait for the stint to be removed and get back to normal life. Let's just say my husband got really lucky, because other sites say that it can be caused by gonareah, or chlamydia. One less bullet I have to waste Lol.
|

replied June 29th, 2013
Hello everyone!

I first got my cyst in 2009. It was not painful but I got rid of it with warm rag and few sitz baths. Last one I got was 2012 and it just stayed there for a year. Beginning of June it started getting bigger. Finally it got so big and I got concerned then it started hurting. I could not walk or sit. My right leg felt like it was going to fall off. I got on abchomeopathy.com and a homeopath doctor helped me a little. Then I came across this phoebe concoction - all I did was soaked a towel in witch hazel and put it in my cyst. It burned a little but i got used to it. Few hours later it burst and chocolate color liquid came out. It did give me instant relief. I washed of and went to sleep. The size stayed the same and I was following homeopaths orders. It started ti hurt again and my skin was so sensitive. I asked him to help ASAP and he told me to take Staphysagria 200c and I did. I went to work at 9 and at 3 it burst ... Blooooood everywhere! Thank god I was leaving early. Again... It was instant relief and I let the water run over it and cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide. The size reduced after it burst to a small grape after being a gulf ball tampon in length. It is even smaller now but sore because it is still draining. So go to this site... And someone will help but also try this witch hazel it really did help me! Good luck all!!!!
|

replied July 4th, 2013
cyst popped
ive had a problem with my cyst since ive gotten pregnant 2009.. itll go away then come back. i have yet to have it surgically taken care of. simply because the er takes care of it. it has recently came back and i wore a pair of jean shorts and it popped. no pain just alot of !**@! actually fainted from a huge blood clot coming out.. i did that myself. luckily my boyfriend was there. but i would like to knw the cause.. i always thought it was from my sexlife.. i squirt. but to be honest. i cant really seem to work myself up to tell my doctor hey i squirt and this cyst.. ive got tested to see if it was a std infection. but unfortunately im one of the few that we just get them.. after it busted open i of course cleaned myself then took a espion salt bath. i also hold hot or warm compresses on it also.. am i takng the right precautions?
|

replied July 20th, 2013
Help
Im confused. I have my first one, it was super painful, my first said its not infected, and just take sitz bath. I did that for a day and a had now, I went to the bathroom, there was blood and puzz that was draining from the cyst, no more pain. But it didn't drain all the way. Still a weird shape cyst, is the rest going to drain out soon? Shold I poke it with a needle? Im scared, because I don't want this ugly lump to stay with me.
|

replied September 6th, 2013
Hey, I'm having trouble with a cyst too... but don't poke it with a needle. That area has a lot of bacteria and if you poke it, the bacteria could get in and infect it worst. Surprised( I hope you're already feeling better!
|
12 >>