Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

Ball shaped stool

User Profile
Hello, i have a 10 month old son and a 23 month old daughter. Both children eat well, they enjoy fruit and vegetables and drink plenty of milk but when they go to the toilet it comes out like little balls. It would not be like this all the time for my son but is always like that with my daughter. Her nappy usually consists of lots of little balls and sometimes they are joined to make one big ball. She shows no signs of pain or discomfort and always goes to the toilet at least once a day, sometimes more. I just wondered is she constipated or is that just how she poos? Could this be dangerous in any way? Have heard people say this could cause an obstruction in the bowel, is this true?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2009
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A7908
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth's Ask a Doctor forum.

Your children eat plenty of fibers and milk. However they do not appear to drinking enough water. Milk has a constipating effect. Also taking plenty of fruits and vegetables alone is not enough. These have to be taken with plenty of water. Try to increase the water intake consciously. In all probability that should help. If not consult their pediatrician. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.