Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

bad panic attack ?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
for 4month i have suffered panic attacks, they just started for no reason, i remember the 1st one i had, i thought i was going to die, im on citalopram 10mg to calm them down and they work a little, when i have a panic i cant calm dowm, if i get a little pain i start worrying, my attacks are so bad iv actually gone to hospital thinking im having an heart attack, they did an ecg and it came back ok and i was just having a bad attack over the pain in my chest, when i panic i sweat, my heart thumps, i get that chocking feeling, cant sleep or eat, but after the panic i feel so rubbish, is this normal? i ache and the pains in my chest is really hurting me, it feels like stabbing pains that come and go, i get stabbing pains in my head and all over my body, i feel so weak. does any one else feel the same? i know its panic attacks but when i get a pain or headache i dont think its normal and start to think i have other problems, Very Happy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Georgia59
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
That's really common- when you feel smaller pains or sensations your body will start to translate them into a panic attack. Are you getting any treatment? Therapy (as opposed to medication) can be really helpful to cure panic attacks. (cognitive behavioral therapy)
|

replied July 20th, 2008
stopped
hiya georgia, iv stopped my medication. it was makin me really ill. i was havin ten times more attacks with it than before. i was havin breathing problems and felt as though i couldnt swollow.. i feel better now and my attacks have calmed down alot.. still feel rubbish a bit. like painful shootin pains in my head, legs and chest.. its the pains that get me worried.. does any else suffer with these pains?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
How long ago did you stop your medication? Because sometimes you might feel weird withdrawal symptoms until your body has adjusted.

But otherwise, if you are getting shooting pains, that's worth telling a doctor about.
|

replied July 26th, 2008
Panic Disorder sufferers usually have a series of intense episodes of extreme anxiety, known as panic attacks. These attacks typically last 10 minutes, but can be as short-lived as 1–5 minutes. However, attacks can wax and wane for a period of hours—one panic attack rolling into another. They may vary in intensity and specific symptoms of panic over the duration (i.e. rapid heartbeat, perspiration, dizziness, dyspnea, trembling, psychological experience of uncontrollable fear, etc.). Some individuals deal with these events on a regular basis—sometimes daily or weekly. The outward symptoms of a panic attack often cause negative social experiences (i.e. embarrassment, social stigma, social isolation, etc.). However, experienced sufferers can often have intense panic attacks with very little outward manifestations of the attack occurring. As many as 36% of all individuals with Panic Disorder also have agoraphobia
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2008
me too
ive had panic attacks for about 4 yrs now, they suck, i dont even leave my house unless i really have too, but i take klonopin for them, and that seems to work.....idk if ur ever tooken that for panic attacks.....
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2008
I had them with post partum depression. An anti-depressant and getting out really helped.
|

replied October 10th, 2008
panic attack
Hello, agoraphobia is what it sounds like. You have the fear of having recurrent panic attacks. The fight or flight sympathetic division of the nervous system is triggered when your brain gives a threat signal. It is based on perception and conditioning. You may go to the grocery store and you just happen to have a panic attack in aisle 12, so you do not want to go back to the grocery store because you think that the grocery store made you have a panic attack. Try to have a panic attack at home just like that. So, did it work? I bet it did not. You know why? Because you do not give your brain a signal of danger. Also, the fight or flight process releases chemicals that make you feel like you are more in danger. Normally, fight or flight are for real danger like someone chasing you down the road, these syptoms would make you run and you would need those chemicals to protect yourself and keep you runnung, but in this case of being at the grocey store, you do not do anything but stand there and wonder what the heck you suppose to do with those reactions. If you are having a panic attack, you might just let it go because it is too late. You have to prevent it so that the attack does not happen. you also need self-confidence. Read from panic to power.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
panic attacks
i get panic attacks usually once a day..and feel the same way like as if i cant swallow and i always think im having an allergic reaction to something i ate and make myself nervous and dont eat new things. Afterwards i usually feel very weak especiall after a huge one. Im trying to deal with them without medicine liek yoga and therapy but since i have it really bad i think im going to start taking Buspar sooon
|

replied October 22nd, 2010
The best thing to do with a Panic attack is to sit there and let it happen. The more you run from it (Getting up and moving around) the more and longer they will happen. I am a 24 yr old paramedic and still have panic attack. They only will happen at night when I am alone. Avoid alcohol and any thing with caffeine. Have you Dr. give you a ekg, check your cholesterol lvl. (good and bad). If there fine its just one thing to convince your self its not a heart attack. Tell him you want to wear a heart monitor for 48 hrs. there are alot of waver in your heart. Example r,p,q,s,t,j and u waves. These tell what the is going to do and what is already been done and how its doing it. Like for another example the interval between an R wave and the next R wave is the inverse of the heart rate (thats just telling you how many beats per minute) It should be 50-100 bpm, but ive had panic attacks were I have clocked my self at 140bpm.
to check that check you pulse (dont use you thumb because your thumb has a pulse and that will throw it off)Count them for 30 sec and then multiply that by 2. Dont worry if its high thats just you body reacting to something that is not really happening (adrenalin). I can go on an on but I wont. The reason is i wanna tell you, if you already havent is to get it under control. I
started having them when I was 20, I had no idea what it
was but I stared drink to get rid of it. A few months later I had been drinking more and more and turned alcoholic. I had to go through medical detox and a month of rehab. The booze worked but it led to that, living on the street in my car, homeless shelter. So get some help. Even tho you prob wont end up like that (just a thought). I still have panic attacks, But ive learned to control them and take them as they come. If it was gonna kill me, it of done it along time ago. ok ill stop blabbing now : p
|

replied May 26th, 2012
hey emma my first panic attack was the exact same, the pain, sweating, feeling like I had just run a marathon, sharp pain in chest, the feeling that someone was putting a band around my heart, hyperventilating, tingling all up my left arm. just yesterday I had another one which was just as bad that I went to hospital but the stupidest little sensation sets it off because my brain starts asking so many questions and I just eventually start to worry about it so much that I break down into a panic attack. I have had maybe six months of no panic attacks because I felt every symptom in the book and came to terms with them and convinced myself that they were harmless, the head spikes and the pains in your chest and the dizziness and sweating, random fast heart beats and all of it. I have managed to come to terms with these things and now I only panic if I am under a lot of stress which is why it came on yesterday really bad but the important thing I tell myself is that all of these weird feelings and sensations are completely normal and cannot harm you in any way, none of them will cause you any physical damage no matter how intense they feel Smile
|

replied September 14th, 2012
I started to get them after i had a near death experience with a massive blood clot (DVT) that had me gasping for oxygen and made me collapse and faint 2ce while trying to get out my apartment and get help. Luckily when i came to the 2nd time i was able to get out and get help but it scared the living crap out of me and thought i was forsure dead and the doctor even said it was lucky I didn't because of the size clogging my lung. Well ever since I get these servere panic attacks when ever my heart gets going or i feel any abnormality like slight dizzyness and they are nearly as bad as having the blood clot because i feel imminent death is coming and I'm about to collapse but nothing ever happens. If I was near you while having one you would never know unless ya truly were paying close attention to me cause I hold it inside except I won't really wanna move around, talk, and i assume my face probably looks pretty scared, I'm just quiet which is not me but inside im scared as hell and I hate them soooooo much. I was hoping they would go away in time after i started to forget about that night but its been like 9 months now since the incident and not much has changed.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
Severe panic attacks
I started having panic attacks after I stopped taking Paxil cold-turky. I suffered with the attacks to the point that I had to stop driving because that was when I mostly got them. Over the years without medication, my panic attacks became less and less and I started to feel better. Just today I experienced panic attacks all day and what caused me to get on a forum to talk about what I was feeling was that the last attack I had was so severe I had to get up and go for a run around the block. I am not sure what is suddenly triggering these attacks and so suddenly having this many in one day. I recently had a very traumatic experience which hurt me so badly that I still can't seem to get over it. Does anyone know if a traumatic experience can trigger these attacks? I just would rather not go back to taking medication as I know that these medications are habbit forming and one tends to need to take more and more in order for them to be effective.
|

replied January 29th, 2013
Pani attack
I've had panic attacks since I've split up with my abusive ex I'm currently on 10mg citrapram been doubled to 20mg and been even worse so changed back down to 10mg keep having panic attacks there dreadful, pains in cheat feel like I can't breath all the time feel sick 24/7 and pains in my legs are unbelievable just wish it would all stop don't know how much more I can take I feel like I'm dying most of the time!!!
|

replied June 1st, 2013
please help
Yes I too have been having lots of panics.mine started when So experienced something so traumatic I felt helpless.and since then I have panic attacks.mine don't come with heart pain.mine is more if a mind thing.when I feel like I can't get what I want or helpless about a situation it starts.I feel extreme fear n hopelessnes and want to die.nothing helps.I am claustrophobic too.please help
|

replied June 1st, 2013
please help
Yes I too have been having lots of panics.mine started when So experienced something so traumatic I felt helpless.and since then I have panic attacks.mine don't come with heart pain.mine is more if a mind thing.when I feel like I can't get what I want or helpless about a situation it starts.I feel extreme fear n hopelessnes and want to die.nothing helps.I am claustrophobic too.please help.I am also suffering insomnia.
|