Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Bad Kidney Infection

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Ive had a kidney infection for about 2 weeks now started out lower back pain,progressed to urinating blood, progressed to not being able to go. I've been on Cipro,azithromyicin,rocephin(IV),Bactrim,K eflex ,Macrobid,and another I can't remember he name of. Plus a steroid and three kinds of pain meds.Dr.said my body is not responding to antibiotics. I didn't sleep at all last night because of pain, still can't urinate, my question is:should I go back to ER (I have no insurance) anddoes smoking adversly affect the kidneys?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

Presence of back pain , hematuria are indicative of severe conditions like pylonephritis or renal papillary necrosis.

It would be in the better interest of your health to visit the ER for better pain control and prevention of any side effects due to late treatment.

Evaluation with a Ultrasound and a CT scan might be needed to know the exact diagnosis.

Smoking does affect the blood vessels and reduce the flow to the kidneys.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.