Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

bad headaches after cataract surgery

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am a 49 year old white male who had to have cataract lens replacement surgery on Wednesday ,Jan 14th on my left eye. The surgery went well with no complications. I had my patch removed the next day and began taking two eye drops four times per day . Vigamox for 1 week and Omnipred for two weeks. On Sunday evening ,four days after the surgery, I began experiencing severe headaches on the left side of my head and very tender on top. I went back to the doctor who gave me more drops to try , this has not helped either. I go back tomorrow again . I have tried heat, cold, tylenol , and exedrin for pain. Nothing works. My wife thinks I need to get some sort of a scan done to help determine what is causing the pain. I have never had migranes, and am not nautious or sensitive to sound now. I hope I described my symptoms fully. I would love to hear from someone offering any suggestions for me to try or share with my own doctor. I cannot function at work with these massive headaches
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tjnewton1
|

replied June 28th, 2009
Cataract surgery, the aftermath
Iâ??m a 49 female and was born with cataracts and a 4+ astigmatism. I had cataract surgery on my left eye on May 20th 2009 and my right eye June 9th 2009. Both lenses were replaces with a Toric lens to try and correct the astigmatism . This has been a miserable experience overall. The doctorâ??s office had me sign the usual papers regarding risks of infection and complications during surgery, but did not mention anything about the other possible side effects. I have unbearable headaches that over-the-counter pain meds wonâ??t even touch. On the 3rd day following both surgeries, the dizziness and vertigo began. Iâ??m also having a terrible time with a â??flutteringâ?? of the lenses and was told by my doctor that it would go away with time. He said the lenses had to â??seatâ?? and adjust. My peripheral vision has been impacted because I can see the outside or rim of the lenses and Itâ??s like looking through binoculars so focusing on something close up is almost impossible because of this and the fluttering. My doctor seems very dismissive of these concerns so that has been frustrating and Iâ??m looking into finding another ophthalmologist.

Iâ??ll give it more time, but Iâ??m just not convinced that this binocular effect and lens fluttering are going to suddenly go away, and the headaches are making life a misery. I now have 20/20 vision in my right eye and am very thankful for that, but the vision is about the same or worse than before in my left eye. Iâ??m wondering if this is the reason for the headachesâ?¦ my eyes fighting to adjust. Iâ??ve read posts where others are suffering with these headaches so I sympathize with you all and wish you luck. Iâ??m really curious to know if anyone else is having the fluttering and binocular effect.
|

replied July 31st, 2011
I had cataract surgery 6 weeks ago.. I have had a headache ever since..at first it was so bad I had to take pain pills. It feels like an elelctrical shock sometimes and then a dull throbbing in my left eye and my brow bone. Also, when I look left or right it feels like there is alot of tension or pulling behind my eye... Please someone tell me this is going to go away.. the Dr. says there is no reason for this pain?
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Have you recevied any relief as yet? Barry B (62) I too suffer with very bad headaches 6wks post opp. Right eye surgery went well-20/20 vison.

Waited 2wks and did the left eye. The vison there is blurry 20/40 vison and I have re-occuring migrain headaches almost daily. Can't get relief. What have you done in your case to seek out relief?
Barry B bb12134
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Have you recevied any relief as yet? Barry B (62) I too suffer with very bad headaches 6wks post opp. Right eye surgery went well-20/20 vison.

Waited 2wks and did the left eye. The vison there is blurry 20/40 vison and I have re-occuring migrain headaches almost daily. Can't get relief. What have you done in your case to seek out relief?
Barry B bb12134
|

replied October 15th, 2009
Fluttering eye after cataract surgery
I have had the fluttering now for a year since my cataract extraction. My eye doctor has been able to give me eye drops to try to lessen the symptoms and they help some what. It is very aggravating as I am a reader and this is impacts my reading and frustration with reading.
|

replied June 18th, 2010
eye fluttering after cataract surgery
I just had a Toric lens implant in my left eye and also experience fluttering at the left corner of my eye, especially when I read or go out into sunlight. My doctor says this is a temporary effect of corneal swelling from the surgery, but from your experiences, I'm beginning to fear he may be wrong.
|

replied November 21st, 2010
Severe headaches and eye pain after cataract surgery
After cataract surgery, I started experiencing acute sudden pain behind the eyes, on the temples and along the forehead - The ophtalmologist, neurologist and g.p. could not see anything wrong and I was underwent a blood test and a scan, just in case - The optometrist that eventualy tested my vision said that I NEEDED GLASSES - (slight myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism) From the first day of wearing glasses, the headaches DISAPPEARED! (by the way, I had had laser corrective surgery about 15 years ago and assumed that all was OK.
I am 67, and had never daily headaches before this, but this whole episode felt like sinus pain accompanied by sudden stabbing pains behind the eyes.
It has now been 2 weeks since wearing corrective glasses and all is well.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 15th, 2011
I too have daily migraines following cataract surgery with distance only implants. I also have severe fluttering in left eye only and terrible vision at near and mid ranges. No depth perception and poor peripheral vision in left eye. Progressive lenses do not really help. My surgeopn has decided I am just too emotional because I am a woman and I just need to get used to it. Is anyone else experiencing distance vision which is so disorienting and annoyingly different?I am totally traumatizeed by the whole experience and was POORLY prepared for outcome The vision was better with catarcts in my eyes.
|

replied December 1st, 2011
Painful during surgery
I feel traumatized also. I had my cataract surgery today. It was painful and I moaned and told the doctor it was hurting. I stared moving my legs and rubbing my feet together cause I was hurting so much. He just kept on with the surgery telling me to hold still It was very traumatic. After they told me no pain med script. Just take Tylenol or NSAID ..my eye has been aching and that side of my head brow bone and temple area ache. I expected it to be painless but it was awful.
|

replied March 7th, 2013
Pain, ruined eye focus, lense fluttering after cataract surgery
I also was told that I would have no pain during cataract surgery. I had intense pain after waking. once I had my second eye done i have developed fluttering in the first eye. This is almost intolerable. They erased my perfectly good eyes with Cataracs and replaced them with two long-distance lenses. I no longer have near vision and glasses are a pain I told the surgeon four times I wanted my same vision but with no cataracts. He opted on his own to give me his version of perfect vision. And did a patchy job at that. I, too, was told I couldn't possibly have pain and to take Tylenol. B****tards is too kind.
|

replied March 18th, 2014
nice thread
|