Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

bad acid trip

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
a little over a year ago i tried acid for the first time;
and it was the only time ive ever done it or ever will.
i had an extremely bad trip.
my bad trip didnt start until i smoked weed;
but at the time i didnt even realize that i was smoking weed,
i couldnt remember much.
i started to have flash backs like crazy.
my whole body when numb i had no feeling.
i couldnt even tell when i had to use that bathroom.
i screamed on the top of my lungs many times that night.
i felt like i was dead but didnt know that i was dead.
i wanted and tried to kill myself just so that i would be dead and so the bad trip would stop.
it was the longest night of my life.
i didnt even know if i was breathing or not.
everyone kept telling me i was fine but i felt like they were lieing to me.
i just wanted it to stop so bad.

about a month after that one night i smoked weed and i started having flash backs of the night that i had the badtrip and it felt exactly like my bad trip.
i started freaking out but nobody knew what was happening and i couldnt believe that i felt like i did when i had my bad trip.

because of the bad trip i got diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and i have panic attacks daily becuase of it,
although the bad trip happened over a year ago that night still haunts me and i think about it every minute.
it was a decision that will live with me forever.

since then ive been drug free and havent touched anything,
because whenever i go near any drug i have a panic attack just because of that night.

i now have to take prozac to control my anxiety.

acid affected my life more than anything else.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper yourbaby3
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
There are many people who had have their first panic attack experience triggered by using weed for the first time.
Weed is usually short-term causing trigger for panic attacks, and resulting panic disorder can be treated successfully.
This can be also defined as situationally bound panic attack, cause you had it second time when you smoke weed once more.
Experiencing panic attack in particular situation, leads to associating that certain situations with panic attacks (creating a cognitive or behaviorally predisposition to having panic attacks in certain situations, in other words anytime you smoke weed you'll have a panic attack).

Staying free from drugs is best!
Marija
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2009
MandMs very good response
I have done my share of it all, In the army acid was the drug of choice as it would not show up on a UA, I personally loved it! "been many moons ago" I was able to have sex on it like Johnny superstar, but was unable to be in public only with a women alone. My wife is clean but several years back i was giving a kilo of weed in the Baja "no such thing as buying a little it was only a $150.00" well what the heck do i do with all this smoke, well on new years eve we had a party and i baked the Brownies "very different then smoking" and my wife wanted to try, I made them very strong, 1 would do the job, she ate 4 and said I do not understand what you guys see in this i feel nothing.

well about 4 to 5 hours later we had been making love and she went into a really bad trip "like acid" and it lasted for over 8 hours, she kept telling me she was going to die and they are coming for her, I never seen this and my wife has never used again. I had no idea that this would happen!
I felt like i was in Pulp fiction "was very scared for her!"

Now what is really sad is i sit in myself made prison drinking and hitting morphine every day. and feel like i am slipping into a very dark hole! Maybe like a bad acid trip that will not end!

God bless

MandMs hit the hammer on the head i think.

Peace
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
talking about some downer ass stories...thats really sad...

has anyone thought that maybe they need to just have a better trip and maybe that will help them through it? I mean it's either that or you die eventually going crazy over it.
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Experienced User
You could always replace that bad trip by doing Psilocybin Mushrooms its alot smoother than the LSD. I used to have flashbacks for years just by smoking weed after my bad acid episodes then after a few mushroom trips everything cleared right up. I don't get depressed anymore much.
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I don't recommend chasing the dragon on a bad acid trip, whether you just want to have a feel good trip or you think there's a therapeutic reason. You should never do psychedelic drugs for anything other than their intended purpose, entertainment. Acid and shrooms are dangerous enough to your well-being when used within the correct frame of mind, trying to use them for medicine without the guidance of a trained shamman is asking for trouble. yourbaby3 seemed to think he knew his mind until he opened a door that didn't work out so well for him. Drugs, like fireworks, are only fun until you stop respecting them.
|

replied February 16th, 2011
acid trip
hello baby3

I had the same experience you had and it was horrible. I thought it will never go away. and that will remain like that the rest of my life. I had bad dreams for long time. I was 21 foreing student in USA now I am 54. It was my frist trip....I was doing Ok until I got back from parting and my roonmate lite a marihuana cigarrete. My mind I could not stop. Strange thoughts were going over my head at the speed of light. I became very confused. I prayed so I would wake up sane. I could not stand watchig my face on a mirror. Next day I will still very paranoic and thought I will be like that forever. It is really dificult to explain exacctly how I felt.
I wish I had had some medication. The hold thing lasted like a year and a half in which I wasnt me. however I never told my paremts untill reacently, they never seem to noticed what I was going trough
Now I am married and have 3 kids. You will be fine. being consious of, and around your loved ones is the best healing. At that time I read that at the college library when looking for articles about how to find relif.
|

replied November 1st, 2011
I had a similar experience around a year and a half ago. It has been hell since, it is not just a personal agony, but it extends outward like an atomic parasite on my soul. The bad thing is that I did a second trip cos I thought it could clear things up. they got much worse. much worse. I think I may have a chance now. maybe. The second trip was at a music concert. my friends persuaded me to take a "normal" trip. pre-trip I was feeling really confident, a really hot girl even passed me and said "you're hot" there was also a couple girl there that I thought were awesome. so my friends dropped, and I said i might have a little, but my friend said have the whole thing. about 10 mins later they found a dj incredibly funny, I was scared cos I didnt understand the humour. Enter hell. I felt as if I was the focus of everyones attention, and have since been very successful in making this happen. also when I was trying to be in the zone with girls, this went into an area of my mind that I found disgusting, then I tried to numb it. later my friends were just watching my terror, disconnected. My friend said it feels like a dull grey europe. they were jsut watching me. I tried to watch tv to try and take my mind off it, and I felt the tv presenter lose their focus, and I felt them being dragged into my lifelessness. I was even more terrorfied at the scope of my power. this has continued to this day. A few months ago I went to the tennis with my dad. He commented jokingly on how everyone was looking at this part of the audience, and that maybe they were watching me. I think I'm getting better but it's still a big part of everysay life. I'll stop talking now Sad
|

replied March 25th, 2012
"yourbaby3"

i can completely relate to this. how long did your bad trip last for?

i am a very experiance drug user, ive done most of the works, and one night i took some acid- my first time taking it in the form of a liquid- and i tripped about 10 hrs good then i smoked some weed and FREAKED OUT.

it felt like the whole room was shrinking in on me and i felt like i was dying. i thought i talked to god, and now i constantly think about the bad trip. it lasted ANOTHER 10 hours!!! it was the WORST thing ive ever experianced ever. ever sice it happened i have been TERRIFIED to do any kind of drug or smoke for fear of flashbacks. needless to say i got clean after that and i did have a bad drug problem.

i am now terrified of the thought of dying or death now though because in my trip i experianced what i thought it would be like to die and go into afterlife. i cannot explain how horrible it was and i wish so bad it had never happened, but i am thankful it helped me get clean.

i used manyyyyyy drugs for about 5 years, and NEVER had any kind of REMOTELY bad trip. now, i think about the trip all the time and it just causes so much stress. i dont think i can ever fix what i did to my brain.
|

replied May 1st, 2012
lsd
Is there anyway to remember a trip? I had a horrible trip about a year 1/2 ago and it has severly messed me up. I really want to remember it so I can move on but it was fairly tramatic. If you guys have any advice that would be greatly apprecaited.
|

replied May 1st, 2012
lsd
Is there anyway to remember a trip? I had a horrible trip about a year 1/2 ago and it has severly messed me up. I really want to remember it so I can move on but it was fairly tramatic. If you guys have any advice that would be greatly apprecaited.
|

replied July 12th, 2013
I had a very, very bad trip on mushrooms in 1998 and went into a solopsistic hell. It was the worst experience imaginable - everyone's bad experience is unique, but it was one of the existential, God, consciousness and nature of reality ones that are common bad trips. I'd forgotten that I took mushrooms, though after what felt like an eternity of nothingness I eventually realised this and brought myself out of the hell I was in and realised that I could recreate my life as it was prior to the trip. This seemed to happen in an instant and I remember stanind up and looking out of the window and seeing a milkman delivering milk and literally dropped to my knees in appreciation of being allowed to live again. That day, I felt more content than ever, though very badly shaken. About three weeks later I suddenly had a flashback that was so huge it caused me to drink almost a whole bottle of spirits to drown it out. This continually returned and lead to what I later recognised as severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - the worst of it lasted around eight months and during that time I could bareful function and went out and got drunk way too much every night and slept around a fair bit and was violently raped whilst out drinking at one point.

I met a partner at this point (though we're not together now) and I noticed that talking about my experience made me feel a little better, though the trip was still something I thought about all day, every day. Over the next year or two the frequency of the flashbacks and their severity gradually reduced and apart from the occasional huge panic attack (which I always treated with alcohol), I began to feel that I may be able to learn to live with what I'd experienced, though I retained a fear of death and the afterlife and the nature of whatever it outside of life. I also retained a full recollection of the bad elements of the trip - even though there were elements that were awe-inspiring mixed in with it (if that makes sense). I once tried smoking a joint and immediately felt it coming back, so I've not touched it since and would never take any illegal drug ever again as long as I live.

The next phase however was learning to deal with the overdrinking and the huge binges I would go on - that lead to quite severe alocohol withdrawal. I had a number of huge two week binges that eventually lead to me being given benzodiazepine detoxes - one of which sparked an even bigger reaction to the benzos than the alcohol.

I was then diagnosed with cancer and very shortly afterwards with Aids, though thankfully I've made a full recovery from both and am fit, healthy and well now. I still drunk probably more than I should for a while, though the desire for this gradually subsided and I class myself as a social drinker now, I do occasionally think about my experience and that's what happened today and lead me to search for it and stumble upon this thread. I'm pretty happy and successful now, though for me it took (from the date of the trip) 8 months for the worst to pass, two years for the pretty bad stage to pass, five years for until I felt reasonably normal, then a further six of so years for the after-effects to be dealth with (the alcohol etc). I was 26 then and I'm 41 now and it's really been the single worst experience of my life and it sort of feels like I've jumped from youth to middle-age in a single step by ruining the prime of my life through my own actions and choices. However, like I say, I'm OK and living as happy and good a life as many are, despite living with an illness (I'm not the only one).

I know how terrifying, isolating and awful the experience and its after-effects are having lived through them, so if typing this out can help one other person on the planet to see that there is some light at the end of the tunnel and that you can go on to have a decent life, accepting all that life throws at you and reamining optimistic and happy, then it's been worth replying.

The thing with life is that when young, it feels permanent, when it's only ever a temporary thing. Sooner or later, something happens to all of us to remind us of our own mortality - be it illness, the death of a loved one, being a soldier experiencing war, being in an accident or this kind of bad trip experience. Once experienced, you can never go back - only forward. Some experience PTSD, some just get on with it. But your life will never be how it was before. But go easy on yourself, accept that the way you feel is normal and natural, try and avoid over-drinking too much (a little's not going to hurt you) and try wherever possible to talk to someone who'll understand - even if it's the Samritans, a counsellor etc) and in time you'll learn to live with your experience and may actually end up learning a lot from it and perhaps even being grateful for it. That may sound odd, but I wouldn't be where I am, as happy as I am if it weren't for that awful experience. Channel it, work with it, looks at what you can do to help others.

Just rest assured that you're not alone - that others have trodden this path before you and will be going through exactly what you're going through somewhere in the world. Also, rest assured that you WILL get through it - probably much quicker than I did too now that you've heard from someone who's been through it.
|

replied July 20th, 2013
Great thread, thanks for the advice guys.
|

replied July 24th, 2013
Experienced User
(home wound care)You could always replace that bad trip by doing Psilocybin Mushrooms its alot smoother than the LSD. I used to have flashbacks for years just by smoking weed after my bad acid episodes then after a few mushroom trips everything cleared right up. I don't get depressed anymore much.
|

replied November 13th, 2014
i think so They need to just have a better trip and maybe that will help them through it.
|

replied November 20th, 2014
That sounds scary! I havent had a bad trip before. But I have had friends who have, and it can be really traumatizing.
|

replied November 27th, 2014
I use marijuana everyday. I have never had a bad trip. Y'all smoking some crazy stuff!
|