Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Bacterial vaginosis and methods of transmission

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
User Profile
I've been diagnosed with BV (began bleeding after sex, uterine tenderness, fishy odor) and scheduled for a pelvic ultrasound tomorrow. When I told my husband, he "volunteered" that he has a "poison ivy" rash on and in his penis and "Would that have anything to do with it?" I have never been unfaithful, married 12 years and never in my life had a yeast or vaginal infection or uti. Until this.

Question:
1) Could he really have a coincidental "poison ivy" rash? Does a penile poison ivy rash resemble that of an std (like chlamydia or gonorrhea)?

2) Would it be beneficial for me to be tested for an std like chlamydia or gonorrhea?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2009
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A6972

Bleeding after intercourse, uterine tenderness, and fishy odor from the vagina might all be signs of bacterial vaginosis. It is possible that it might be transmitted from your partner.
But, please do not jump to conclusions.

The vaginal bacterial flora consists of good, beneficial bacteria that are supposed to be found in the vagina. In certain conditions, when these good bacteria are killed, they might be replaced with pathological bacteria or fungi. The pathological bacteria do not necessarily have to be transmitted from a sexual partner in this particular case.

Because of the anatomical small distance between the vagina and the anus, even a minor lack of hygiene might cause the bacteria to spread from the colon to the vagina, thus causing the bacterial vaginosis. One of the most common bacterial species that can be detected after this type of spreading is Escherichia coli.

As for the “poison ivy rush”, it might look similar to any kind of rush in the area for a person that is not a health care professional.

So, in the end you are highly advised to visit your gynecologist for a vaginal smear or swab with antibiogram that might detect the exact bacteria and the most effective antibiotic. In the end, please note that your husband would have to go under the same antibiotic treatment as you. Otherwise, when you finish the therapy, he might transmit the infection to you again.

Please have the recommended examinations before you do something that might risk your marriage and your life happiness. What you described is not so rare a situation as you might think, and usually it does not mean that one of the partners is having an affair.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.