Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

Bacterial Meningitis and fertility

Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
My name is Megan and am about to be 21. I had bacterial meningitis when I was 6 months of age and was hospitalized for two weeks. My doctors and parents saved me - My question is this.

I'm married and do not want children. I have expressed to my doctor extreme paranoia about becoming pregnant, and i am on the depo provera shot. I had my female exam and he told me everything was fine, but previously, two months before, i was going on and on about my fears to him when he stopped me and told me that we'd have to get a manger out with three wiseman and the north star if i were to become pregnant. He had my husband stay behind and in confidence told him it was nearly impossible for me to become pregnant because I had scarred ovaries (my husband may have "ovaries" and "fallopian tubes" confused), and told my husband not to worry about me becoming pregnant (I know i am on depo though and it's pretty much impossible as is anyway). My husband didn't tell me this til a couple months after.

When I had my female exam, he told me everything was fine. I didn't ask him otherwise.

There are two things here: He could have lied to me because it seems to me that women have made a big deal about having children later on and he wants to give me hope because there isd a possibility, and he told my husband I had scarred ovaries and was being truthful. My doctor can be really iffy on this subject because i am excessively paranoid about pregnancy - I do not want children.

Now the big question here is COULD HAVING BACTERIAL MENINGITIS AS A BABY AT 6 MONTHS IMPAIR MY ABILITY TO HAVE CHILDREN? I highly doubt that a response could be fully diagnosed from the information I have provided, but just in general even, if anything, is that a possibility that bacterial meningitis can impact the ability to bear children?

If this information helps;
i was 5 pounds and 5/10 ounces when i was born, i am 5'2 and weigh about 90lbs now. i will me 21 on the 14th of August and am a tiny girl; when my mom was my age she was the same as me.

i wanted to find my medical records but cannot locate them - I do have bipolar disorder and we think that the meningitis could have played into that. I don't want to contact my doctor because i want an outside opinion.

If someone knows of anywhere I could call otherwise or knows of a source, or as any information, or if there is another way to find out for sure, please let me know. Or an opinion. this information is very important to me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
Bacterial Meningitis and fertility
I may not have the answer. But my mother seems to think that meningitis can lead to infertility. She said that 3 of my brothers had this when they were babies and the doctor at the time told her that. However, this was back in the 60's and in 1970 when my youngest brother was born. Neither of them have children today. I'd like to know the answer to this for sure though since one of my brothers would like to have a child with his new wife.
|

replied February 7th, 2011
I can tell you: I had a very severe case of Meningitis when I was an infant. The docotors did not think that I would survive, and if I did I would be a carrot. However, as you can guess, I'm not a carrot. I promise you, each time I have had unprotected sex (three times to be exact) I have gotten pregnant. I have NO PROBLEMS with fertility, other than being a fertile mertile! I was told once when I was young that I would be infertile as well. Not true! This is an old wives tale. You should stay on birth control of you do not want children. The IUD works for me.
|

replied November 8th, 2011
Since meningitis affects the brain, it could very well effect fertility. The brain is the computer of the body and tells the body what hormones what to produce and what to do.
|

replied November 13th, 2011
Well when I researched Bipolar Disorder and it talked about neurotransmitters it made me google whether meningitis could cause Bipolar Disorder. I had a very severe case of meningitis in 2004 and was hospitalized twice. Just earlier this year I was diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder. History traced my first manic phase back to 2 months after getting better from meningitis which lead me to this point..... I'm thinking maybe they should start investigating a correlation here!
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
I too had a severe case of bacterial meningitis. I was 5 months old and they thought I would be a carrot as well. I spent 5 weeks in the hospital. I have had 3 pregnancies and all of which occurred almost immediately after discontinuing birth control. I due have some hormone issues, nothing needing meds but definitely causing lots of hard cycles. I think from my research into meningitis that it can almost cause anything it wants. The high fevers , mine was 107, can cause brain damage and cellular damage in many directions. It seems to be a case by case situation. Where swelling may be, how long fever us high, etc. Good luck..
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
I too had a severe case of bacterial meningitis. I was 5 months old and they thought I would be a carrot as well. I spent 5 weeks in the hospital. I have had 3 pregnancies and all of which occurred almost immediately after discontinuing birth control. I due have some hormone issues, nothing needing meds but definitely causing lots of hard cycles. I think from my research into meningitis that it can almost cause anything it wants. The high fevers , mine was 107, can cause brain damage and cellular damage in many directions. It seems to be a case by case situation. Where swelling may be, how long fever us high, etc. Good luck..
|