Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Back pain continuing for 1 year after injury

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi! I am a 25 year old female (5'6 about 120 lbs). I was involved in the motor vehicle accident about a year ago. Following that I had thoracic back pain (radiating from about T7). I did physical therapy for about two weeks. I had an MRI but it came back normal, but I still have pain.

The pain is not consistent, it is usually a 1 or 2 out of ten if I am able to rest, but if I have to sit in a backless chair, on the floor, or if I stand for extended periods the pain becomes quite severe, up to an 8 or 9 out of ten.

Doctors have been concerned mostly with masking the pain using NSAIDS, and are not concerned with healing the injury. They said that the MRI ruled out spinal compression and fractures, and anything muscular would have healed by now.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can heal? I feel this is not normal at 25.

Thank you!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 29th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
Understanding the problem is a good place to start. Ligaments (discs) hold the bones in you back in alignment. I think they got stretched or torn in your accident. So when you don't have support, things slip out of alignment, because the ligaments aren't doing their job. That causes pain.
You may have a pre-existing condition where your shoulders round forward. Or they are tight and you can't reach you arms directly overhead. P/T can return you to your pre-accident condition, but if that is off, your ligaments are in a state of constant stress and can't heal.

I would suggest first getting a hands-on approach like an osteopath, neuro-facial release (I have this done), or chiropractor should be able to tell you if your bones are not in place. Finding someone who is really, really good is a problem.

For healing, ligaments are "passive tissue". Unlike muscles or tendons, you cannot directly work them out like lifting weights for your muscles. You CAN use the correct muscles to pull the bones back into place. This will take the stress off the ligaments so they can heal. This can take 6 months to 5 years as a rough estimate from people I know who have healed.
|
Did you find this post helpful?