Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Back pain after appendix removal

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I took my 51 yr old husband into emerg this past weekend with several abdominal pain. they removed his appendix and sent him home a few hours later. the pain has subsided slightly but seems to have moved around to the back area, is this something to be concerned with that maybe it wasn't his appendix after all? they said that his appendix seemed to be ok but did have a small mass in it which they were sending off to pathology. I am growing concerned with the amount of pain he is in. He is in general good health with the exception of a heart attack in oct 08.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2009
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A8305
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You like to know whether the pain in the back area that your husband experiences, may be the reason to be concerned about.

Back pain may happen in one of the following conditions: rheumatism of the joints, infections of the kidneys, laying in bed on the back for rather long time, tumors in the vertebra and etc. Sometimes pain in the back combined with abdominal pain may appear in peritonitis, which is rather serious condition.

Given the data that you described your husband may or may not experience any madical conditions. If the pain is getting mild than you may advise him to change the position of laying in bed. However, if the pain gets from strong to severe, you should consider taking him back to the hospital immediately to see the surgeon that had preformed operation on him, to check upon him and to prevent peritonitis.

Please keep in mind that I provide with medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact the surgeon immediately if the pain gets worse.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.