Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Baby with astigmatism

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Dear Doctors and all,

Our 18-month daughter was just diagnosed with astigmatism (200 each side). We would like to have more opinions about this, shall she start wearing a glasses now ? This is mainly because it is hard to get a baby to stay with her glasses.

Any comment will be highly appreciated.

Thanks, eeanan
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
Dear Doctors and all,

An additional information, our baby has hirschsprung's disease and did the correction surgery when she was 2 month old.

Are these associated ??

Thanks and regards,
eeanan
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: Baby with astigmatism
eeanan wrote:
Dear Doctors and all,

Our 18-month daughter was just diagnosed with astigmatism (200 each side). We would like to have more opinions about this, shall she start wearing a glasses now ? This is mainly because it is hard to get a baby to stay with her glasses.

Any comment will be highly appreciated.

Thanks, eeanan

For babies who need to have care at that age, you will need to take her to a pediatric optometrist. Usually they can prescribe pediatric contacts...don't worry, you are not alone and it happens all the time. The earlier something is diagnosed with the eyes, the easier it is to fix. They may seem expensive, but is worth the sight of the child. My daughter started wearing them when she was 3.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
Dear Mominashoe,

Thanks for your sharing of experience. I have not contacted a pediatric optometrist yet. I will start to look for one. Why I delay is because I do not like the eye drops to dilate the pupil. It's uncomfortable.
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yes I know what you mean...it stings a little and we hate to cause pain in our children, but they do have to learn that sometimes pain is just a fact of life. The thing is that it is worth the sight of your child, and she is too young to remember anyway.
|

replied March 15th, 2011
Dear All,

My Baby Girl is 10 months old and diagnosed with Astigmatism. The doctor said this could potentially lead to learning disabilities later on as she is unable to make out shapes etc at a distance.
He recommends another check up in 4 months.

I'm an extremely worried father and would love to know your opinions as well as any way I can prevent this from affecting my baby. the doctor wasnt very forthcoming.
|

replied March 25th, 2011
Dear Tei,

Not too worry. The earlier this is detected, you stand a better chance to have the eyesight corrected when she grow elder. Do you confirm this is Astigmatism ? My girl used to see TV with squinted eyes and therefore we suspect. If you are not too comfortable with your current doctor, get another opinion, a pediatric ophthalmologist, if possible. They know how to deal with a baby.

My girl started to wear her glasses around 2 years old. I wish I have done that earlier.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2011
Community Volunteer
I don't know how early things like this can be detected, but babies are normally nearsighted. Take her to a pediatric ophthalmologist. A regular doctor or even one who doesn't specialize in children's eyesight isn't the way to go.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
an albino with astigmatism
My 9 month was diagnosed with astigmatism and he also albino. What should i expect in years to come?
|