Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

B6 toxicity

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I followed up with a neurologist about my fibromyalgia diagnosis. All the bloodwork came back fine except my B6 levels were crazy high, she said normal was under 2 or 20 (can't remember) and mine were over 200. My other B vitamin levels were normal. I've got to stop my multi-vitamin (I was taking the women's multi from Vitamin Shoppe & I checked and the B6 in that multi is 4000% the RDA) & and see if that helps and beware of B6 levels in fortified grains & cereals I may eat. Apparently, this can cause neuropathy--numbness, tingling, etc. (which caused the rheumatologist to send me to the neuro.), but to see results, it can take some time (a year, or more to regrow the damaged nerves) even though blood levels return to normal fairly quickly. I'm hoping maybe this is the cause of a lot of my issues. She also did a muscle study (not fun!) and concluded I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome, which I already knew.

So at least nothing major is wrong. It is either fibromyalgia and/or too much B6. And to think I thought I was doing good for my body taking a multi-vitamin each day!

Anyone here have any experience with B6 toxicity?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile cln1812
|

replied November 25th, 2010
Hi! Like you I was diagnosed last Nov (2009) with B6 toxicity. I have been suffering for 5 years now. My level was 139. Today, a year later, my level is 12, but I am still in a great deal of pain, as well as fatigue,
body aches, headaches, numbness, burning mouth, and the list could go on. I cannot work now, I just pray that my symptoms will eventually go away. I was just taking a regular vitamin, which I have for most of my life. Ironically, my symptoms developed the very same month I went into menopause. Is that a coincidence? Who knows.
How are you doing today?
|

replied October 11th, 2011
bebe05
I HAVE NEUROPATHY OF ARMS, LEGS, HANDS, FINGERS. BURNING AND NUMBNESS OF TONGUE, LIP, AND DROOLING. GERD, IBS. KEPT COMPLAINING TO NO AVAIL. WENT TO NEUROLOGIST ON MY OWN. HE DID TOND OF BLOOD WORK CTA AND NERVE CONDUCTION STUDIES.

CTA (BRAIN ANGIOGRAM)NORMAL, NERVE CONDUCTION SHOWS NEUROPATHY. NEUROLOGIST SAID NEUROPATHY NOT CAUSE FROM BRAIN AND HE WAS PERPLEXED. SAID LAB WORK ALL NORMAL.

I ALSO HAVE SEVERE DRY EYES, NOSE AND VAGINA. I AM A NURSE.

I ASKED THE OFFICE TO FAX ME MY BLOOD WORK AND EVERYTHING WAS WNL EXCEPT B6 WHICH WAS REPEATED X3 BY LAB AND LEVEL REMAINED AT 61. i RESEARCH B6 TOXICITY AND SURE ENOUGH THERE WAS EVERY SYMPTOM I HAD AND HAVE HAD FOR YEARS.

EXCESSIVE B6MIMICSSYMPTOMSOF MS AND ALS IN ADDFITION TO THE NEUROPATHY.

I CALLED THE NEUROLOGIST AND ASKED HIM TO LOOK INTO ELEVATED B6. 2 DAYS LATER HE CALLED AND SAID ALL OF MY SYMPTOMS WERE RELATE TO THE ELEVATED B6. TOLD ME TO STOP B6. I TOLD HIM I HAVE NEVER TAKEN B6 NOR ANY SUPPLEMENTS EXCEPT KRILL OIL FOR MY DRY EYES.

HE THEN ASKED ME WHAT MY NATIONALITY WAS. I TOLD HIM I WAS OF SCOTCH IRISH DECENT. HE THEN SAID I HAD A GENETIC CONDITION THAT IS PREVELENT TO PEOPLE OF SCOTCH IRISH DERCENT WHERE THE ENZYME THAT CONVERTS B6 INTO ITS USEFUL FORM IS TOO BIG. THIS CAUSES EXCESSIVE B6 TO BUILD UP EVEN IF NO EXTRA IS TAKEN IN SUPPLEMENT FORM.

I THEN ASKED WHAT TO DO TO CURE THIS CONDITION. HE SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW AND TO COME BACK IN 6 MONTHS TO GET THE B6 CHECKED AGAIN!

I NEED HELP AND NOW, PLEASE. MY BALANCE IS AWFUL, DROOLING SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND CAN HARDLY SPEAK BECAUSE OF THE NUMBNESS OF MY MOUTH FACE AND TONGUE.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR TO SEE ABOUT THIS.

PLEASE HELP!
|

replied July 29th, 2012
I hope you have gotten some help by now. I just read your post because i was researching B6 toxicity because I think I might have it. You should see an ND, Naturopathic Dr. Maybe he can help you with natural products. Hope you have found some help.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
bebe05
I HAVE NEUROPATHY OF ARMS, LEGS, HANDS, FINGERS. BURNING AND NUMBNESS OF TONGUE, LIPS, AND DROOLING. GERD, IBS. I KEPT COMPLAINING TO EVERY MD I SAW TO NO AVAIL. WENT TO NEUROLOGIST ON MY OWN. HE DID TONS OF BLOOD WORK, CTA AND NERVE CONDUCTION STUDIES.

CTA (BRAIN ANGIOGRAM) NORMAL, NERVE CONDUCTION SHOWS NEUROPATHY. NEUROLOGIST SAID NEUROPATHY NOT CAUSE FROM BRAIN AND HE WAS PERPLEXED. SAID LAB WORK ALL NORMAL.

I ALSO HAVE SEVERE DRY EYES, NOSE AND VAGINA. I AM A NURSE.

I ASKED THE OFFICE TO FAX ME MY BLOOD WORK AND EVERYTHING WAS WNL EXCEPT B6 WHICH WAS REPEATED X3 BY LAB AND LEVEL REMAINED AT 61. I RESEARCH B6 TOXICITY AND SURE ENOUGH THERE WAS EVERY SYMPTOM I HAD AND HAVE HAD FOR YEARS.

EXCESSIVE B6 MIMICS SYMPTOMS OF MS AND ALS IN ADDITION TO THE NEUROPATHY.

I CALLED THE NEUROLOGIST AND ASKED HIM TO LOOK INTO ELEVATED B6. 2 DAYS LATER HE CALLED AND SAID ALL OF MY SYMPTOMS WERE RELATE TO THE ELEVATED B6. TOLD ME TO STOP B6. I TOLD HIM I HAVE NEVER TAKEN B6 NOR ANY SUPPLEMENTS EXCEPT KRILL OIL FOR MY DRY EYES.

HE THEN ASKED ME WHAT MY NATIONALITY WAS. I TOLD HIM I WAS OF SCOTCH IRISH DECENT. HE THEN SAID I HAD A GENETIC CONDITION THAT IS PREVELENT TO PEOPLE OF SCOTCH IRISH DERCENT WHERE THE ENZYME THAT CONVERTS B6 INTO ITS USEFUL FORM IS TOO BIG. THIS CAUSES EXCESSIVE B6 TO BUILD UP EVEN IF NO EXTRA IS TAKEN IN SUPPLEMENT FORM.

I ASKED WHAT TO DO TO CURE THIS CONDITION. HE SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW AND TO COME BACK IN 6 MONTHS TO GET THE B6 CHECKED AGAIN!

I NEED HELP AND NOW, PLEASE. MY BALANCE IS AWFUL, DROOLING SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND CAN HARDLY SPEAK BECAUSE OF THE NUMBNESS OF MY MOUTH FACE AND TONGUE.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR TO SEE ABOUT THIS.

PLEASE HELP!
|

replied January 16th, 2015
I have B6 toxicity with all of the same symptoms and was not supplementing either. I am also of Scotch Irish decent. Did you receive help?
|