Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Avoiding the recurrence of an inguinal hernia

User Profile
Dear friends,

I underwent an inguinal groin hernia surgery (right) In July 2003, It was a cut-open surgery and since then things have been quite good, I have been playing active sports. But last month my 1 year old kid kicked my stomach with a vehement force. After that, I developed severe pain in the right testicle and also had symptoms of hernia. I initially thought of a possible recurrence, but the doctors ruled that out. I was asked to undergo a scan of my groin/testicle, and it too came out negative, The doctor said, we should not rush and should wait for 3 months. Now i am seeing a collection of veins over the top of my right testicle, which when i touch move all over the testicle, I dont have any such thing in the left side, though it appears once in a week in the left testicle as well. I again met a GP, and he says nothing to worry. But i feel so much of dragging feeling,I dont even want to get up and walk. I never had such a pain during my surgery days.

Kindly advise.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2010
Hernia Answer A10274
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know the cause of your current condition.

When veins are traumatized with force or cut, inflammation may appear which may result in formation of thrombus. In an inguinal hernia, part of the thin intestine may dislocate from the abdominal cavity into the inguinal canal and may press over the blood vessels and nerves that go through this canal. The testicle's veins may be affected by the pressure and may be more visible and a bit swollen if the pressure lasts a period of time.

Given the data that you described, you may or may not experience recurrence of an inguinal hernia. See an abdominal surgeon to rule out the possible recurrence of an inguinal hernia. Avoid any sport that may increase the abdominal pressure, such as weight lifting.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.