Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Avoiding nighttime snacking ?

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
I'm trying to lose weight. During the day I am great : I eat small, frequent meals. Fruits, vegetables, low-fat yogurt, whole grains, etc. even breakfast I eat oatmeal or cereal. But when it comes to the evening, I am horrible. I am usually soo tired and hungry after work I just come home and pig out. The nights that I am home I just sit in front of the tv and snack. (I never eat anything unhealthy since I make sure not to keep junk food in the house, but I know I am eating too much)
The nighttime snacking is keeping me from losing weight! At this time I cant afford a gym membership. Does anyone have any tips about how to avoid late-night snacking and maybe find another way to unwind from a stressful day of work without shoving my face? Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2008
Supporter
The key to weight control is keeping energy intake (food) and energy output (physical activity) in balance. To lose weight, you must burn more calories than you eat. Exercise is the best way to do this. IS there any way that you can coordinate a 20-30 minute workout at home when you come home from work? This can work on two levels --- help relieve stress AND promote weight loss.

I'd also suggest that you PREPARE YOUR MEALS before hand, so that you're not left repeating the grazing behavior.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
wow....
i have the same exact problem. I eat perfectly allll day until I get off work at 5. I tell myself I am going to the gym and by the time I get home, BOOM. I eat everything in sight. I go straight for my roomies candy. Then once i get full i sit back and get disguisted with all the wrappers around me. I just get lazy and just watch tv. I am normally not like this. I am not sure if this is a phase or what. I just don't know how to break it....

this isn't normal
|

replied April 19th, 2009
Experienced User
Well I think you've got the hard part down. eating the right foods is what I have the most trouble with. First of all exercise is a big part of losing weight but don't worry I used to be the laziest person on the planet and now I work out for hours everyday Once you get into a routine for exercising it's hard to let yourself slip so you should try to ease yourself in and if you can't go to a gym try going jogging or running in the park or playing sports with friends, even just run in place while you watch tv, I'm the same way with the late night snacking and you just have to find other ways to occupy your mind try drinking water or if you eat try to take it slow ( it takes your mind 20 minutes after you start eating to realize you're not hungry anymore)
|