Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Avoiding certain migraine triggers

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
Hi Doctors, I find this site very helpful. It answers most of my questions regarding my health. Right now, I am just worrying about this headache I am feeling almost every time, everyday. Most of the time, the pain is hitting the right side of my head. Then, during bedtime & waking up in the morning, my head is aching all over and feel like it's numb. I am pulling my hair slightly just somehow to ease the pain. Sometimes I feel like vomiting & dizzy. I am also having this unnecessary/unwanted tingling motions/movements of my arms/hands. why is that and what could be the probable cause?
I know I am not an active person, and sometimes thinks too much of personal problems. Do these affect? Please help and give me advice on what to do, or any supplement I have to take. I am really suffering from this headache. Thank you very very much in advance.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 5th, 2010
Headache and Migraines Answer A8914

Given the symptoms you reported (pain in right side of head, numbness in the head, numbness, and dizziness), you might be experiencing a migraine.

A migraine is a neurological disorder with the symptoms you described. Headache (usually unilateral), nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light or noise are common symptoms of migraines. Although there are many hypotheses about the cause of migraines, it is not defined yet. There are certain trigger factors that might initiate the migraine attack, and should be avoided, such as: bright light, loud noise, stress (both emotional and physical), tension headaches, and hormonal fluctuations during the menstrual cycle, changes in sleep pattern, alcohol, and smoking. Food to avoid includes: chocolate, nuts, banana, citrus, dairy products.

Since the cause is not identified, the treatment usually includes analgesics, and antiemetics to prevent the nausea and vomiting.

You might want to visit your neurologist for a physical examination in order to exclude other more serious neurological conditions which might cause a headache.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.