Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Attention all BP's!

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I found this article online about BP and healing it with alternative therapies that I found very enlightening. I know I can't post the website but its written by Tatjana-Mihaela, and the post is entitled BIPOLAR DISORDER and proven natural ways of healing. Its on Hub Pages. If you have any interest, please take a look at it. Good luck to all of you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2010
I downloaded the article and found it very helpful as I don't want to mess with medicines anymore!
Thank you so much!
Hope everything goes well for you from now on...
|

replied August 8th, 2010
Smaro - thank you. Good luck to you - I wish you peace, love, health and happiness and everything you want in life. I am sorry if I ever offended you...I'm just hurting. Peace between us. Oddly enough, I am also a Reiki Master like the author of that article. People tell me that I attract people that need help, and it seems to be the case. I wish I could have helped him.....
|

replied August 8th, 2010
Smaro - can you please keep me posted on how you do with these alternative treatments? I would like to know if they help you. Also, my ex's mother had thyroid problems and had to have her's removed. I don't know if she is BP also but I did read in many different places that thyroid contributes to rapid cycling, which is what I felt he was. Just FYI.
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2010
Some of those alternative therapies I was already using when I saw your post, like homeopathy, Bach's flower remedies,vitamin supplements and herbal remedies such as valeriana and passion flower extracts.
Unfortunately I have started them a few weeks ago, and after I was already experiencing a mild hypomania (being very irritable) because I didn't want to take the chemical medicines again...
So I don't know which works and which not, the combination is just fine with me, of course I am still irritable but now I can control it better and I am more calm than when the episode started!
I also use massage, it has a very calming effect on me and I think on anyone! Of course reiki would be even better, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet...
I found this article very helpful because I had doubts whether I was doing the right things on myself, but when I read them I felt reassured I'm on the right track!
I also bought tahini (sesame seed pulp) after reading this article because it contains tryptophane, magnesium and zinc, elements that we bipolars need to operate well!
And I am trying to change my diet into a healthier one, if you have any advice on macrobiotic diet it is welcome!
I also read (not in this article, elsewhere in this forum) that weed helps, but I am afraid to try this alone-without another person that uses it for the same purpose to tell me dosages and frequency of use, I think that can be more dangerous than beneficial to my health!
Even if you haven't helped your loved one, you have more knowledge now to help others like him- with the same condition I mean- and this is as much important as helping him would be!
|

replied August 9th, 2010
Smaro - I am also a massage therapist and yoga instructor. I highly recommend meditation, it has been proven to restructure the brain and has been life changing for me. I tried to get my ex to let me teach him yoga and meditation but he was resistant. I did massage him and it would relax him. I wish I would have done more for him. Also check out shirodhara therapy - its ayurvedic and has been used to help treat mental imbalances. I LOVE it. I also read that structured schedules are very good for BP. Getting up/going to bed at the same time, routines. This is also very important in ayurveda. Perhaps researching ayurveda would be of use to you as well. If you get into a depressed state easily, then I don't recommend smoking weed as its a depressant. Macro diet I have tried, there is a very user friendly book on macro eating called "The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotic" or something like that. Basically eating non-processed, healthy, seasonal, organic food is best. It really resonated with me when the author of that article spoke about the hormonal imbalance. I am not into medication for people either, but when you're scared and you don't know what to do to heal yourself and medical professionals are telling you this is what you need to do, its hard to try something else, right? Have you seen an endocrinoligist as recommended in the article? That might be a good idea! Please keep me posted and feel free to ask me any questions. Good for you for taking these positive steps to heal yourself...really amazing!
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2010
That is what made me hate all psychiatrists, first of all they divide mental illness from other body ilnesses, while I believe it is the brain that has the illness, which is an organ of the body, while they think that the psyche (soul) is sick, and then they say, "since you have this kind of illness, you are not able to judge what is good and what is bad for you, so you have to take drugs"! (= medicines)
I bought that story for years until recently I realised their meds got me worse than I was without them, like having Alzheimer's and Parkinson's together, so I decided to stop them and find other methods of treatment...
I am also about to see an endocrinologist on September (I will be on holiday until then) but I have already done thyroid blood tests and they were fine...
Thank you for your feedback, I will try to take one small step at a time, this is already a whole new world for me- the world of alternative medicine!
|

replied August 9th, 2010
I will be praying for you Smaro!
|