Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

Asperger's syndrome symptoms ?

Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
User Profile
I think I may have Asperger's syndrome or another issue.
I looked it up, and found that I do exhibit some of the symptoms, but they seem to be fairly subjective and it seems they could be caused by anything.
I often think people are being serious when they are being sarcastic, I sometimes find people's feelings hard to understand and I'm unsure of how to react to people telling me that they're upset, and I've been told many times I speak in a monotone. I find it really difficult to engage in conversation, and seem to often do it wrong when I do.
I have very few friends, and most people seem to think I'm a "dick". I'm not actually sure why. I'm very successful academically, and have a good memory for facts, dates etc. However, I forget a lot of other things, chores that I'm instructed to do for example. I'm very good at English and German at school, and textual analysis in English, although I sometimes struggle to understand what people mean. That covered most things I thought relevant

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2010
Autism Answer A10065
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by your behaviour patterns that you might have Asperger's(AS) or some other pervasive developmental disorder.
Children with Asperger disorder have a qualitative impairment in the development of reciprocal social interaction, often showing repetitive behaviors and restricted, obsessional, idiosyncratic interests. They have deficits in nonverbal and pragmatic aspects of communication (facial expressions, gestures). They do not have the severe language impairments that characterize autism. Although they are somewhat socially aware, these children appear to others to be peculiar or eccentric. They are awkward and clumsy and have unusual postures and gait. To meet the diagnostic criteria for Asperger syndrome, a child must manifest impairments in social interactions and show restrictive, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or achievements with other people; these disturbances must cause significant impairments in social or occupational functioning. Unlike children with autism, those diagnosed with Asperger syndrome have a history of normal language milestones, with single words used by age 2 yr and communicative phrases used by age 3 yr. There are often similar traits in family members.
A person with AS may engage in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic, while misunderstanding or not recognizing the listener's feelings or reactions as in your case you are not able to understand the difference between seriousness and sarcasm.
There is no cognitive impairment in AS as is seen in Autism. You also seem to be doing good academically for that reason. The cognitive ability of children with AS often allows them to articulate social norms in a laboratory context, where they may be able to show a theoretical understanding of other people's emotions; however, they typically have difficulty acting on this knowledge in fluid, real-life situations.
Persons with AS use language literally but have difficulty in understanding figurative language. That may be the reason for being good in textual analysis of language but struggling to understand what people mean in conversation.
You must consult your doctor for definitive diagnosis as the same cannot be made online. The current "gold standard" in diagnosing ASDs combines clinical judgment with the Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R)—a semistructured parent interview—and the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS)—a conversation and play-based interview with the child or person. Group social skill training is the hallmark of intervention, although children with Asperger disorder appear to be at high risk for other psychiatric disorders, particularly oppositional-defiant disorder and mood disorders. Cognitive-behavioral therapy has been useful in patients with associated anxiety.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Autism , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.