Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Asian lady beetle bite ?

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
I got a bite on my leg which I felt but I only saw something flying when I felt the bite, that looked like an Asian lady beetle. The bite has two holes in the center, raised up in a white welt and has red, hot skin for about two inches around the welt. When I say hot, I mean, actually hot to the touch. The skin around the bite was really hot for the whole first day after I got bitten. It is very itchy. I have had it for two days and although it's not swollen now, it still itches a lot. When I scratch it, the welt returns. I read that Asian lady beetles don't really "bite", they more like pinch or grab with their legs, so even though that's what I saw, that doesn't sound like what I got and it was probably a coincidence that I saw a beetle at the same time that I got bitten. I live in Wisconsin . . . does anyone have any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2008
Supporter
I think that treatment for the bite is more important that know what actually bit you. You can see a dermatologist and s/he can prescribe a topical cream that can help ease the symptoms.
|

replied June 5th, 2010
asian beetle bite
I got bit by an asian beetle as well I live in milwaukee WI it was very tender and actuallyleft a blister as the day went on that I had lanced and it left a dark brown spot that stll itches and feels tender when I scratch it
|

replied October 7th, 2011
i live in Canton, Ohio and I too had the same reaction to an asian lady bug bite!! It swelled horribly was hot and had little blisters. I thought they were spider bites until I actually saw a asian lady bug land on my hand and bite me and where bit me is where I had the reaction.
|

replied October 27th, 2014
I live in Hocking County, Ohio in a rural area and we are infested every fall with Asian lady beetles when the farmers are harvesting their crops. I avoid those little bugs like the plague and will not go outside on warm sunny fall days when they are swarming. I have a horrible allergic reaction to them when they bite me. Fatigue, listlessness, inability to focus, severe arthritic type pain, asthma and some or all of the symptoms can linger for months. I believe they were initially brought into the area to help fight aphids. I despise them.
|

replied October 29th, 2014
Ladybug Bite
We live in central NY. My 2 year old daughter was stung/bit/whatever by an Asian lady bug. She was playing on a rock where a bunch of them crawling all around. The sting/bite started on her upper forearm yesterday and just looked like a small mosquito bite with a 1 inch area of swollen redness around the sting. This morning the sting is white and the red swollen area has turned into bruising. We are going to the Dr. today for fear of infection. She is normally sensitive to bug bites but never this bad and they never reacted like this. I never knew a ladybug could do this.
|

replied October 29th, 2014
Sorry to hear about your daughter and well wishes for her. That bug ain't no lady. Lady Bugs are fine, but the Asian Beetles are very aggressive and will bite very quickly. The bite might compare to a mosquito, just a minor bother. If you are allergic like me, it can have a significant impact. Once again, best wishes for your daughter.
|