Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

ARV's and weight gain

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi good people when I was diagnosed with hiv I was a size 32 I later came down with anemia and shingles and I was size 28 ...days went by in 2004 I had tb, pcp pnemonia and a cd4 count of 3 my world was falling apart I started reviewing my will and started preparing for my burial thank God now I am size 42 and I am very healthy my only problem is I have picked up a lot of weight and no matter what I try I cant loose it ...has someone experianced this and what what your solution.....is it arv's or is it just my metabolism ...pls share your views.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2008
Supporter
You have resisted, survived and overcome my dear Gugu!
Gugu,

First of all, the dress sizes differ all over the world. What you call a size 42 maybe a size 14 in the UK and Size 12 in the USA. In that case I am bigger because I wear size 44 which is a size 14 here and 16 in the UK. When I left Kenya I was size 14 UK and now I am 16UK. Not a big difference. I love who I am. yes

I am not sure how much weight I add on the ARV's but I am sure I add weight with the mental health medication. Right now I am a little over a hundred and sixty pounds. Shocked

You are another fighter counting Homerx and you give me courage to carry on. 3 fighter cells? Rolling Eyes Good Lord.

I don't know what I can tell you but I am happy in my body and that is all that matters. If ARV's helped people gain weight, don't you think more and more of us would be looking healthier? Confused

You don't want to be overweight that is for sure but it is ok to carry some weight. Remember we may have to get to a wasting stage and we will need all the body mass we can get.

If you are very concerned talk to a institutionalist and if that is not possible, talk to your doctor.

Thanks for coming back from PCP pneumonia and TB. I had the same and that is how I became a person living with AIDS instead of being only HIV+. Labels, labels and more labels.

Love
Mson.
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You are blessed, the weight gain could be the meds or the fat deposits that some people get...like me, I have skinny legs and a fat tummy....Sad
But like Mson says, it isn't a big worry, if you kept losing then that would be bad but having some extra weight is OK. You also have to keep in mind that as HIV/AIDS folks, we are living longer and getting older and fatter like everyone else!!!! Dont worry about it, that is my suggestion..
|

replied December 15th, 2011
Thanks God that u recovered well from all those opportunistic infections. The issue of weight gain might be due to meds or poor dietary intake. Make sure that you follow healthy eating guidelines, limit your fat intake especially saturated fat and also check the amount of carbohydrate you are consuming. I will also advise you to engage in physical activity at least 3-4x/week or more. All these is for prevention of diseases of lifestyle hypertension, heart problems, type 2 diabetes and others that can be the result of being overweight. We still want you to have quality life. one chronic disease is enough. I hope this will assist.
|