Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Arms going numb while I'm sleeping

For the past week and a half my left and right arms take turns going numb while I'm sleeping. I woke up a week ago with a "rubber arm" (right), but it is almost just as frequently my left arm (I just usually wake up before it's too numb). Rubbing it for a minute or two has returned feeling.

I'm concerned because this is new... I have always slept on my side, typically with my arms above my head and under my pillow (at least one arm, depending on the side).

I have been seeing a physical trainer for the last 3 months, and my last session (right about when this started) involved heavy bench pressing and squats (something I haven't done since high school - I'm a 28 male now, 5'11", 180 lbs). This exercise resulted in my shoulders being bruised and my elbows.

I also started taking flonase for cat allergies right around this time too, but I don't think that is related.

I am a programmer by day, though I do stretch periodically to keep good blood flow. I don't have this problem at any other time except when I am laying down. I have also noticed over the past week that when reading my iPad in bed at night, just the act of holding one arm over my head while laying on my back can result in that tingling sensation in my arm.

Is this just as simple as a swollen set of muscles preventing good blood flow, or is it something else I should check into? I had a blood test last week - I have the report, but my doctor has not had a chance to review it and get back with me yet (he's unavailable until June). Cholesterol is slightly high and low (in a bad way) - is there anything related I should look for?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
-David
Did you find this post helpful?
|