Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Armpit sweat gland infections

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
User Profile
Hello,
About a year ago I started having pain in the armpit. I could not feel or see anything, no swelling, no redness, nothing. Only when I touched it deep inside there was a pain. So, after almost a year it grew and when I lifted my arm there was something sticking out of my armpit that felt like a spongy swelling and was painful especially when I touched it. My doctor told me that it was sweat glands infection and prescribed amoxicillin antibiotica for ten days three times a day. I did that. Then the spongy thing reduced in size. Now, it's still there, smaller but hard as a rock and I have pain like inside of my skin something is burning. sometimes it feels like someone is sticking knife into my armpit. Again, no swelling, no redness, and the spongy round "thing" is smaller and is hard. So, my question is, does this sound like a sweat gland infection? I have my doubts, but I'd like to hear different opinions on it. I still have to go to my doctor next week again. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2009
Infectious Diseases Answer A8390
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether the spongy round thing that you feel when you touch your armpit is infection of the sweat glands.

Sweat glands infections are common and appear if the level of hygiene is low. It may also appear after cuts during shaving the armpit which is common in women. It can be presented as a small pea-sized thing or as big as a chestnut filling the entire armpit area. It may be colorless or accompanied with swelling and redness if it has grown bigger. Due to the infection, pain in the armpit area appears and may sometimes be the reason why people save that arm and shoulder from any movement. It is treated with antibiotics with a wide range. If the infected sweat gland gets to be the size of a chestnut, or even bigger, a surgical procedure is recommended then to drain the pus.

Given the symptoms that you describe, a small spongy rounded change in your armpit area that reduces in size after administration of antibiotics, it is likely that you experienced a sweat gland infection. You may consider consulting your doctor for further information about treatment options.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice or information about treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.