Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Wound Care Forum

Are these antibiotics really necesary???

My wife fell over and cut her finger. The next day, it was dry, so she went to get it dressed by a nurse, and was given a tripple vaccine of Polio/Diptheria/Tetanus, and a course of Flucloxacillin, JUST IN CASE there is an infection.

This seems very heavy handed to us, and I am sorry that she had the injection, as she tends to react very badly to these things. Also to antibiotics, which make her very ill.

My question is, if she does not take the antibiotics now, and there does turn out to be an infection (probably not very likely, as she simply fell on the pavement on a clean British street), would it be too late to do anything about it, or would the antibiotics work just as well at that later date - with perhaps more discomfort from the infection?

Hope you can help, she is really anxious about whether or not she should take the antibiotics.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
guyshahar,

The use of antibiotics in this case are not warranted. If the wound had occurred in a "dirty" environment, such as on a farmyard or while working in a sewer, then prophylactic antibiotics are usually given. But, when antibiotics are used prophylactically, a broad spectrum one (such as penicillin) is used, and only for three days.

Unfortunately, the over use of antibiotics has lead to the development of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria (the so called "super bugs"), such as MRSA (methicillin resistant staph aureus).

As long as proper local wound care is done, mainly with cleaning the wound with soap and water, there is usually no need for antibiotics. Especially for "just in case". If the wound starts to look red, become painful, swells up, then antibiotics can be prescribed.

Wishing you the best. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 25th, 2013
Thanks a lot, Gaelic. This is sort of what we figured, and that's the course we have taken.
|
Quick Reply