Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Are there any prolife arguments with any substance?

I have never heard any that are based on either facts or logic. Every one I have heard comes from sentimentality or religion.

As you can probably tell, I am pro-choice. I feel that an actual human woman should have more rights than something that is only a potential, not a person. I also don't see why a fetus should have rights no one else has. (the right to use someone's body for sustenance.)
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank Adrenalectomized for this post: GreyWolf  diamondsz 

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I would love to see a good pro-life argument with substance, myself.
While some good arguments are made, a lot of the arguments have no value. A fetus is human, yes. It has a life, yes. But it is NOT a person, it is NOT individual (it still relys upon another human for life-sustaining needs), nor can it be allowed to have rights that trump those of the woman who is carrying it.

You will be hard-pressed to find a pro-lifer on here that will fully understand that being pro-choice is not just being pro-abortion, that being pro-choice means pro-abortion, pro-adoption, pro-parenting, whatever the woman should decide. You will also find it difficult to find a pro-lifer who admits that it is more about HOW the fetus was conceived than it is about the fetus itself. I have heard many pro-lifers say that it is okay to abort a deformed fetus or for maternal health or for rape/incest, but not for "social reasons". The problem with this argument is that a fetus with birth defects is still a human and no different than the fetus being aborted because its mother cannot afford another mouth to feed. The fetus being aborted because of maternal health is no different than the fetus being aborted because the woman carrying it had birth control fail on her. And the fetus being aborted for rape is no different than the fetus being aborted because the woman carrying it wishes to remain child-free.

I digress. Every argument you can imagine has been posted on here already and, quite honestly, we still aren't getting anywhere.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank motherofhighspiritedones for this post: GreyWolf