Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Are bi polar women attracted to certain men?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Ok, so Ive been doing a little research and it turns out the that the last 5 or 6 girls ive dated,married,whatever have been either A. Bipolar B. Meth addict C. both or recovering from meth but obviously still bipolar. I have to say I see similaritites in mania and meth use. PLEASE dont take that as me saying Bipolar makes you a meth addict. Some of the smartest people Ive met have bipolar and have never touched drugs. The thing is,why would they need it? The way my wife describes mania,it sounds exactly like a meth run without the horrible side effects. Physically anyway. I know you guys suffer emotionally and mentally,that I do know. Anyway, ex wife was a meth addict and just got diagnosed as bipolar. Probably the 3 girls before her were all on meth and one was diagnosed bipolar. The girl after my wife was a recovering meth addict and my current wife has pretty severe bipolar. No drugs ever though and very intelligent.It seems that these girls are what interest me and I them. This is just a curiosity and thought it might be interesting to look into. Maybe I could get some insight into myself as well. Thanks for any help and Id love to answer any questions you all might have too.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 4th, 2009
Experienced User
This is a touchy subject I'm bipolar and I'm female.

But I don't have the symptoms any more because I am treated.

It seems like you are attracting Meth addicts more than bipolar people. That sucks!

Here's how my brain worked when my symptoms were untreated:

1) Would date anyone who looked at me with affection. I had no reservations. It was illogical.

2) Relationship would only last four months at max

3) Would jump into relationships one after the other constantly

Now what might be happening here is that you are getting involved with women so easily and quickly without deeply knowing their morals and values first.

Here's a strategy that might help you. Imagine yourself as a man with three luxury cars, two motorbikes, an acreage with a cow and four horses, you have a business, you run five miles a day, you race boats and dirt bikes. With a busy schedule like that do you have a lot of time for a woman? The answer to that is NO. But you still have time for a woman and just one woman. You set guidelines that you will be loyal to each other and learn what her values are so that you can become more involved. This gives you time to grow a successful prosperous life. Plus you get the girl of your dreams.

Have fun with that. Smile
|

replied November 6th, 2009
hi courtie,

I noticed that you said you don't have the symptoms anymore because you are treated. I thought that there weren't any treatments that completely erased bipolar symptoms, am i wrong?? May i ask, how are you being treated?
|

Experienced User
I take an anti-depressant (150mg Effexor) and an anti-psychotic (40mg Zeldox twice daily). Then to treat my anxiety attacks I take 2mg Ativan as needed up to once a day and that slows down my heart rate just a bit (I don't use it hardly ever)

Then I got a lot of recreational therapy - going on nature walks and making crafts, swimming, bowling, climbing, etc. I also studied CBT and DBT online. Then I worked closely with a lot of nurses and spent many hours talking to the distress center about my Traumas and that about tops it.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Long term Methamphetamine abuse can cause Mathamphetamine phsychosis, or drug induced neurological disorders. Depression, siezure disorders and Parkinsons are proven to be linked to Meth use. I don't see why Bipolar disorder couldn't be a possible outcome if your brain chemistry makes you subject to it.

Men tend to be attracted to physical attributes and women to social attributes. From those generalities it's very possible that you would find the same passionate and unpredictable behavior of Meth Addicts and Bipolar women in your pattern of attraction and both female Drug Addicts and women with disabilities are very attracted to people who look after them or protect them. However I wouldn't read all that much into it.
|

replied November 15th, 2009
Experienced User
I wouldn't try to develop a formula for attraction.

It depends on the person and the situation.

We learn about love and how to relate to people based on our primary relationships--our mother and father. I'm sure there's some similarities with these women and how you learned about love growing up in your home.

On top of that, I would guess that you probably think of yourself as a damaged person and are going for damaged people. I'm not making a value judgement; You've been attracted to chaos. I would say that the role of rescuer is compelling to you. You want to care for these women. Perhaps, you had a depressed mom or father.
|

replied January 24th, 2011
yeah I am bipolar and I take anti-depressent meds but still have highs and lows. I do think that from my personal experience that some males do attract well........ what you described. Before I saw this I speculated this possibility myself. My ex-boyfriend who is still my friend, apparently attracted similar women who were emotionally similar to me. He never knew I was bipolar but I did find it interesting that his past girlfriend were somehow mentally unstable. Then again he was the only boyfriend I did have and I'm not sure if thats because I am picky and very emotional. My ex was rare in that he was very sensitive to me, protective, and always tried to guess if I were upset or not; he was also very persistent in getting to know me even when I was easily annoyed. So I believe it is possible that a man can posses qualities in his personality that will attract a bipolar female.
|

replied March 5th, 2011
Experienced User
I'll chime in....I believe attraction, in this case, comes from the outward ability to listen and love someone. In my relationship with a bipolar female...we became best friends. I listened to her pour her heat out and was always there for her to come back when she abruptly left me for no apparent reason. Most people will only tolerate a person to a certain degree. I tolerated more than I ever have/had with this particular person. Why? I loved her deeply and thought of her as my soul mate. The relationship did change as I eventually ended it completely (no contact/communication rule) due to the situation driving me to my knees mentally. Good luck!

Chris
|

replied March 13th, 2011
Has been such a long journey - a friend raised passive aggression into my awareness, a sister introduced me to narcissism, and now finally my "new ex" has given me the motivation to look into bipolar.
I suspect my mother is bipolar, as well as my 3 significant exes.
I have left each relationship as a final attempt to preserve my sanity, of utmost importance as I have 3 young children.
I must be attracting bipolar guys, but how can I avoid that? I am a caring person, and can't possibly become cold and heartless.
More to the point, how can I attract a fella who is stable?
For now I am enjoying my "stable" friends.
So sad to have ended yet another unhealthy relationship with someone I love deeply.
Final word: a rapid cycling BP ex has found a childless woman who seems to be able to give him all he needs and wants. There is some hope for those with BP that they will find someone to settle with.
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Experienced User
HTLV symptoms/ window period
Tony i pray to god what you said is correct, 2 months test results conclusive for HTLV....

Though my previous HTLV test over 2 months is negative, i am very much convinced i have HTLV. caz all my symptoms match HTLV symptoms. Blurred vision, constipation, joint pain,easy bruising,eye flotters, white tongue,spots/pimples on neck, inner limb,face. shoulder,lower Back pain, dry skin, neurological pain of fingures on hands and left leg,Dry mouth.
I know my body is struggling with this virus.
To my surprise all these symptoms started 3 days after my exposure which was Protected oral and Vaginal.
|