Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Appendix removal scars

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
I've just had my appendix out after being rushed into hospital with terrible pain.I would like to ask three questions:

1.Why do l have keyhole surgery scars and also a traditinal 5" scar on my right
side ?

2. How long will it take for my 5" scar to fully heal as l'm worried about my
scar opening up ?

3. I have internal disolving stitches so how long before they disolve ?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The presence of both, keyhole scars, that are usually 3 or 4 tiny incisions (sometimes even fewer), only around 1 in each, and bigger scar, may indicate that your surgeon probably have decide to convert the keyhole surgery to an open procedure during the intervention.
Sometimes it is not possible for the surgeon to use the laparoscopic technique because it may be difficult to see or handle tissue safely.
Factors that might increase the possibility of changing to an "open" procedure are obesity, previous abdominal surgery causing dense scar tissue, inability to see organs or bleeding during surgery.
Usually, it takes up to 2 weeks for incision to heal completely.
Only infected surgical wound can open up, known as wound dehiscence.
|
Did you find this post helpful?