Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Appendix and Appendicitis Question

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
User Profile
Hiya, I had my appendix out 5 weeks ago, in recovery I was in severe pain from the bottom of my rib, cage to the incision site which bought on shock, the muscles in the whole of my right side was in spasm, I was bed ridden for the rest of the next day, unable to move due to the pain, since then, I keep feeling that the muscles, and large bowel is still niggling, I am recently feeling tired, and still quite uncomfortable from the surgery. I know these are rare complications, I would like to know, how many more weeks do I have to recover, and does Undefined Connective Tissue Disease have something to do with these complications, of me going into shock in recovery??

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2010
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A12635
Hi, thanks for using the ehealth forum for your query.
You seem concerned by the complications after appendectomy done 5 weeks ago.
The most common complications after appendectomy are wound infection and abscess. The symptoms that you have described like severe pain from bottom of ribcage to the incision site that you could not move. You have also made a mention of associated shock. Your symptoms might be due to abscess in the wound due to infection with guarding and tenderness in the abdomen and associated septic shock if the infection was very severe and later got disseminated in blood. These complications might have been treated with supportive treatment and parenteral antibiotics in your case. The rate of complication is very little with laparoscopic surgery.
Undefined connective tissue disease has perhaps nothing to do with these complications unless there are gross derangements in organ functions as these depend on surgical technique and skill along with the general wellness of the patient. Presumably, yours was not a high risk surgery, it is unfortunate that you had the rare complications but no surgery is without the risk of complications as must have been explained to you before surgery.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.