Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

apo-prednisone and weight gain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Will I gain much weight taking 40 mg a day of prednisone for 7 days and then down to 30mg for 7 days and then , 20mg for 14 days?

thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2009
Supporter
I know two people that are/ were on prednisone and both of them had greatly increased appetites while on the drug. I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that the medication itself does not cause weight gain (other than fluid retention) but the increased hunger does. However, the drug can cause a redistribution of fat that will alter your appearance. If you have the will power to withstand the urge to eat for a month or if you can counteract the extra calorie consumption with exercise, you will be fine. Also, everthing I have read on the topic lists weight gain as a side effect of long term use of prednisone. I don't know if 28 days would be considered long term.
Several sites stated that the effects are reversible if the dosage is 10mg or less but you are above that level.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank deteragram for this post: bluzilady 
Tags: weight, apo a
Quick Reply