Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Any relation between bowel movement & Degenerative Disc Diso

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I was recently diagnosed with DDD and was explained why I have pain only on the backside and sides from lower back down. It was also explained why the coccyx area hurts due to muscles pulling from DDD.

When I go to the washroom for a bm the pain starts almost instantly afterwards, coccyx area and then from there down all on the backside and sides of my behind and legs.
Is straining causing this? Doctors suspect I have IBS and I am waiting to see a gastroenterologist about this. I just find it odd how it triggers the DDD pain.

Thanks,
MT
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

From the history provided it seems that you have symptoms due to pressure on the nerve roots within the vertebral column affected by the DJD (Degenerative joint disease).

These symptoms tend to increase with changes in posture which increase stress on the vertebral column. Sitting position usually aggravates the symptoms. Even straining during bowel movements can increase this pain.

Individuals with stress issues and IBS have a lower pain threshold and can have increased severity of the symptoms of any pain disorder.

You might consider to consult your doctors for an examination and clarification of any persisting your doubts.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.