Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety When With Girlfriend

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
So I've been with this girl who is amazing and everything I could ever ask for, and we've been together for over 9 months. However, whenever I am with her, I get an immediate feeling of anxiety. Its gotten so bad, that I've broken up with her and pushed her away from me to see if this was indeed my problem and that she was causing it. She know all about this problem, and tries so hard to help, yet thinks she is doing something wrong. Every time I'm with her I'm usually okay for a little but then again I get a rush of anxiety. I even get it when I think about us hanging out. I want to be able to have fun with her and do various things that couples do, but all I ever wanna do is lie down when with her and moap and watch tv/do nothing. It's such a horrible way for me to live, and its been ongoing for months. Ive seen doctors and they have put me on Lexapro but it didn't help at all. I want to be with her and am trying to hard to get rid of this anxiety. Please post if you have any ideas on how to help with this, for it is consuming my life.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 13th, 2010
I get the same thing around this guy that I really like. It's so hard as he makes me feel so nervous all the time. I'm starting to get worried that he thinks i'm avoiding him, but it's not that, I just get really sick with nerves. I feel sick, need the loo etc. I'm sorry as I have no idea what it is... Maybe write her a note to say sorry? Also, have you tried seeing a psychiatrist? You may have soon deep rooted issues with women? No offence... I know I do with guys because of my dad...
|

i have seen a psych, and it didnt help much..Nothing in my life would have casued me to have problems with women..ive dated girls here and there in highschool but never anything as serious as what this relationship has become
|

Maybe it's because you really care about this girl and are so concerned about getting things wrong that it's really getting you worked up?

I think that the reason I'm so nervous around the guy I like, is because I don't want to mess things up, because he too is everything to me and I have liked him for years and it's only recently we've started to have a thing....
|