Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety troubles after breakup.

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Well, I've contemplated getting help, and I guess this is my last step before I do that because I'm tired of coping with this on my own.

A few months ago my boyfriend of 2 years broke up with me. It was a bad relationship that involved alcohol abuse. But I stuck around because I was too afraid to leave and I thought that things would eventually get better. They didnt. I had to move back to my home state with my mother (i'm 21) after he made it to the point where I couldn't live with him because he was being so mean. I thought everything would be okay, I knew it wouldn't be perfect but I knew it would be okay.

When I got home I started drinking a lot to cope with the stress, and burying it deep I guess. I did this for about a month or so. Then I started getting mild panic attacks, which turned into bad panic attacks (I didn't know what was causing them)

For a week I couldn't get out of my bed, I was afraid I was going to kill myself, I kept going over and over it in my head and it terrified me. I couldnt eat or sleep, I was throwing up, not able to digest food properly (if I actually could manage to eat something.) I isolated myself from my friends. That lasted for a week, then it went away.

Then 2 weeks later it came back after I made a phonecall to him drunkenly one night. Since then I've stopped drinking and cut off all contact with him.

Since I have been home I havent been able to find a job. To be honest, at certain times I feel like I wouldnt be able to function at a job. I have been sitting alone everyday mostly until my mom comes home from work. My anxiety is so bad that I dread doing simple things like going for walks and cleaning and pretty much everything. I can go out with my friends but I'm not myself. All of my hopes and dreams don't seem to matter to me anymore- the things that used to make me excited don't really have an effect on me now.

Then I started (last week) developing a fear that I would lose control of myself and harm myself, and then it turned into harming others. I don't want to of course, but the fear is unbearable. Last night I couldnt fall asleep because I was afraid I would lose control of myself and hurt my mother.

Ive never been like this before.. i feel like I'm going crazy. I feel guilty about these thoughts, I hate the anxiety and I want to be my normal self again. I'm usually a pretty carefree person, I want to travel and do things and have a great life. But right now I lost myself somewhere and I can't find it.

I don't want to go on medication. I want to get over this by myself. But I feel like if this persists I wont really have a choice but to go see a dr.

edit: This has been going on for a total of about 3 weeks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|