Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Anxiety? Late Period and I am not sexually active?

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
I'm not sure if I have an anxiety disorder or his I am just overly stressed often. Since I was 8 I can remember having this fear of death. I never felt like I was dying or anything, but I have since had a hard time sleeping often because I am stressed by the thought of how unpredictable and short life seems and things like that. Am I just stressed or could it be anxiety? And how can that effect my period? It's been a month this week and no period, and I am not sexually active, but I'm panicing. My period can be regular but other times it can be irregular and it wouldn't be the first time its been late from stress and things, but I usually have symptoms the week befre and I haven't had any symptoms of a period or anything. It's making me stress even more! I haven't been sleeping well and I'm tired almost every day. What's going on?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

You seem to be suffering from Generalised anxiety disorder and require proper treatment for that.Anxiety and stress can cause hormonal derangements which can delay the periods and cause irregularity.
You need to come out of the situation.Talk with your friends and family regarding what you have been facing since long.Involve yourslef in activities which you are fond of as music,swimming etc.Never be alone and talk to friends.Enjoy the life as it is.You cannot die like this so relax.
Kindly visit a Physician for evaluation and if required he might refer you for counselling sessions.
Take care

|

replied September 30th, 2011
Hi. I'm a noob here. I'm speaking on behalf of my girlfriend. She doesn't go online that much but anyway...

Her period was supposed to be due 4 days ago. We had sex two weeks ago and I noticed white foamy discharge. Kinda smelly too and it's the first time I saw it. She tells me that it's normal prior to menstruation. I acknowledge given that she's a nurse and all. Before that our OB told her not to use pills after our last visit but I still use protection.

I seriously think her not having her period isn't due to the part that she's pregnant. I strongly believe that it is due to anxiety and yeah, stress. Stress from work and also by subconsciously thinking about her period.

She's not irregular so I do know for one that my theory might be true. Any insights would be much appreciated.

---

Would this be the case here?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.