Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

anxiety is worse to the poing I have trouble swallowing

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
My anxiety is getting worse to the poing I have trouble swallowing. I just think about food and I feel my throat clenching together. I have been on a few different anxiety pills but none have helped. This has been going on for a year and a half. Any suggestions out there. When it gets bad I choke on food and have to drink liquid with every bite of food and some times it gets coughed back up. Just drinking liquid is sometimes a problem. I'm on co-Venlafaxine xr 37.5mg.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2015
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out.

It is true that stress and anxiety can cause trouble swallowing but other causes of dysphagia should also be ruled out.

It can be gastrointestinal, psychological (Emotional or anxiety disorder) or nerve or muscle problems.

For the anxiety, you need to take combination of antianxiety drugs. You may also need cognitive behaviour therapy,medicines like SSRI’s,benzodiazepines and psychological counseling.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.
|

replied July 31st, 2015
I will suggest some Home remedies which you can try for your anxiety :

1. Kava - Helps in relaxation without sedation effects
2. Valerian (commonly used) - used as sleep aid. It carries a sedative effect
3. Vitamin B and folic acid- These nutrients are believed to relieve anxiety by affecting the production of chemicals needed for your brain to function

These remedies are to be used only in mild conditions, in case of severe or chronic conditions you should visit your doctor.
|

replied January 15th, 2016
Ive had difficulty swallowing for over 20 years and have researched it extensively. For anyone who has trouble swallowing meats, rice etc., esophageal spasms that are unidentified by doctors, please look into transdermal magnesium oil. Some of this is due to anxiety, stress hypersensitivity and hyper awareness. Transdermal magnesium oil Does Not upset your stomach. It is absorbed by your skin and relaxes muscles that help you swallow. PLEASE READ ABOUT MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY!
You can get the oil on line or learn to make it yourself. Spray yourself daily rub it in. I went to doctors for years. They could not diagnose. Be well!
|
Tags: Anxiety, Stress
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.