Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety induced cold hands and feet

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
User Profile
My boyfriend have a colostomy and he had been diagnosed with hepatitis B.
His body temperature is high even tough he is cold most of the time. I would like to know "why" I am icy cold when I am around him? Especially my hands and feet.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2009
Anxiety and Stress Answer A5510

Peripheral vasoconstriction that causes cold hands and feet might be a sign of anxiety. The sympathetic nervous system is responsible for this vasoconstriction and for the cold sweat. In your case, the picture of your boyfriend ill causes an emotional reaction that causes an adequate sympathetic action.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.