Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Anxiety & Hypoglycemia

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
I have a long history of anxiety and panic but was doing great for over 20 years. I also believe I have had a long history of hypoglycemia and have gone on and off the diet many times - usually gave up because I was not feeling better.

This all came to a head because I took a few doses of an antidepressant to sleep and have had 15 months of severe adverse reactions symptoms. I am now wondering if the constant adrenalin release with hypo is why I am not recovering. This stress and anxiety alone can screw up BG.

So here was the defining moments: my wife fixed a huge meal like Thanksgiving - turkey with cornbread stuffing - sweet potatoes with brown sugar - dinner rolls - mashed potatoes and gravy and a slice of pie - and I got so sick 2 hours later I was ready to call 911. Went back into denial.

Then went to dinner and had bowls full of corn chips and salsa with not much protein in the dinner. Damn near had a wreck driving home and tested my BG - it was 250.

My wife is a sugar junkie and can eat donuts and high sugar coffee at 6 am and do perfect until lunch at noon. So he keeps sweet treats under lock and key - except I find stashes at times so I have been having a sweet treat after lunch and dinner.

OK fast forward. I have been having severe insomnia and waking up and not being able to go back to sleep so I go to a nutritionist. She says I need to build serotonin before sleep so she tells me to eat a huge bowl of muesli before bed - this one se suggested has rolled oats, barley and wheat with raisins and date pieces - I also added bananas and peanut butter.

I ate this for three months and started waking up at 1:00 am sweating, shaking, having panic and burning all over - and could not go back to sleep. By the time 6 am rolled around I was so agitated I could walk on water. This lasted all day even though we eat organically and always whole foods - we never eat processed and for the most part it si low glycemic.

I would love to talk to anyone who has anxiety and hypo both.

And by the way I went on a strict Adkins diet in 2010 and had non stop panic attacks due to low carbs - I AM CONFUSED
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pegotty
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
I have anxiety and hypo. Anxiety definitely messes with blood sugar levels. Just tonight I had an anxiety attack and couldn't exercise like normal because of it - I tried, my blood sugar went down to 45 before I caught it. Days where my anxiety is calm, my blood sugar behaves reasonably well (not good, but tolerable).
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2011
Community Volunteer
I mean, based on what you're eating you're never going to get better. Sticking to a diet requires you to do it pretty diligently for an extended period, usually 3-4 months before noticing any real improvement. That's not an exaggeration. I do not recommend Atkins, either, it's not low glycemic, it's almost no glycemic, and with the way your body is working, trust me, it won't get you anywhere. I tried it myself for a long time and it did nothing, in fact I mention in my diet here on this forum that if you drop below 60g of carbs per day for too long, you get a nice surprise, which you're experiencing.
|
Users who thank Spaceknight for this post: frankiebaci 

replied November 14th, 2011
This doctor puts all his anxiety patients on his hypoglycemia diet. He is a Harvard med MD but also a naturopath. It has been working for me very well. I have both anxiety and hypoglycemia.
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2012
pegotty, who is the doctor your are talking about?
|

replied January 10th, 2012
I posted a link but they removed it because it violated their terms of service. You can google hypoglycemia diet. his name is dr podell. it is basically a high carb diet...the low carbs about killed me! but his high carb diet (no refined sugars or white flour...mostly fresh fruits for carbs) has done really well for me.
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2012
thanks pegotty!
|