Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety causing bladder problems

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I've had anxiety for a number of years and have been on and off medication.
My big problem is mind over matter, I tend to think about things that come natural such as how I breathe or go to the bathroom (pee) and then the problems start, tight chest or holding my bladder.
The bladder thing is a new development and is driving me crazy, I constantly think I need the bathroom or hold my bladder which is causing me some pain.
Has anybody else had bladder problems caused by anxiety?

doctor
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jackson15
|

replied March 25th, 2009
BLADDER ANXIETY
Yep sure have, only relief is to get 'panic away" by joe (sorry forgot his last name) i downloaded his manual and am 98% cured.. tried every thing else but his programme really really works...dont bother looking anywhere else.. megan
|

replied April 7th, 2009
OCD and problems that go with it
Yes I have had this problem before, for sure. I have always had strange issues with my bladder and OCD, I use to think when I was a young child that I couldn't urinate, then I would distress about it. Then as I got older I had problems on my school bus, I had a long ride home and I use to think that I would urinate on the bus ride home, or I wouldn't be able to urinate when I got home. Then I had it vanish for YEARS, then I had my first child and I had a UTI as a result, which is very common after vaginal birth, however, I started to stress about it, then after three months it went away. Then I had my second and by now I have my OCD under, some what livable control. THEN IT happened I was horrified by the thought of that happening again a UTI after child birth, I didn't get one, but I thought for sure every single minute I was getting one. Then it went away, then after my son was a year and old I got the symptons, out of now where, I started thinking it was because I bought these new shoes, YES CRAZY, but thanks to OCD, I had a bout with my bladder for almost a month and a half......yes, then I was o.k....I obessed about it, I made my husband, (who thank gawd is very understanding and can help me, not be negative) measure his pee, log down how many times a day he went to the washroom, etc....then low and behold it went away!
Then I was again horrified this year that it would come back, honestly this will sound, and I mean OUT THERE, but to the OCD suffer, you will understand (OCD isn't fact or even realistic thoughts) I purchased my dream truck.......and I was really bothered from that, because I have issues with getting something I wanted, verses something I needed.....so I started obessing about the truck, about things, about greed, etc......I then notice my licence plate had P, yes the letter P in the numeric and alpha plate make-up.......so six months after getting it, I suddently thought because of this I was going to have urination problems, because P stands for PEE, get it, yes OCD, what a mind it can be! So I obessed, I became depresed and upset and of course as we all know and can relate, anxiety cause frequent urination....because you but your bladder into spasm mode, and crunch your muscles all up and cause the sensation of having to urinated. This is very true, hence scared shitless, or I was so nervouse I pissed my pants, there is very much truth in that. I have read that soldiers in battle will often urinate in their pants and sometimes poop. It is the body reactions to cetain hormones and heart elevations and such, not sure all the science of it, but it is true. However, there is also factors to play into it, such as what you eat can irritate your bladder, and when we are in an ocd moment we become depressed usually and we crave BAD FOOD, chocolate, sugars, junk food, which all are bladder irritants, I hope this helps out some......let me know.
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
Pee Anxiety
I am suffering from this for 2 months now. I am not sure if I am peeing cause something is wrong with me or if I am peeing because I think I pee too much and I think i have to go again...BUT I actually able to pee a lot each time. sometimes one after another.
|

replied July 21st, 2009
No More Overactive Bladder and Bladder Training Program
Hi tusofka

You told that you are suffering from overactive bladderfor 2 months.There are many bladder training programs in market but the people who are looking to reduce this problem permanently, I think it is very useful why because I experienced personally.I also suffered this problem and I solve that problem by attending the Bladder Training Program.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
hi magnusmiles

please can you tell me that bladder training program details.I have been suffering from last 6 months.Please let me know about this program.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
I would be really interested to find out the name of the manual mentioned above by wattsm, and how to get hold of it as I feel this could really help me.
Stu
|

replied September 7th, 2009
Hi i just had to give up my childhood dream of being a police officer. So im really bummed out i just wanted to know wat was the best medication you guys have taken
|

replied September 7th, 2009
Is this medication for anxiety and stress in general, because i also suffer from anxiety however i tend to break out in huge red hives on my chest cheeks and neck . Does anyone know any cures for this?
|

replied September 8th, 2009
its a bit like most thoughts with anxiety the more power we give them the worse symptoms gets.Because you are focussing on this, then you will continue to worry about the need to go.
The good news is that your new meds are working - so maybe the next time you are out and about you could try focussing on something else whilst on the bus - maybe playing a game on your mobile or reading or singing to yourself anything to divert your automatic thoughts of needing the loo.
|

replied June 21st, 2011
Help please :(
Hey, I've been going through the same situation for 2 YEARS now! After being tossed around from obgyn and urologists, I finally found a Doc that told me it was all due to stress. He set me up with a bladder trainer, but they can't get me in for 3 weeks! I've looked online and did some of there exercies, but I'm still in so much pain!! Does anyone know if muscle relaxers would help? Hope someone out there is still around Sad
|

replied March 5th, 2012
Bladder infections and resulting anxiety, or vice versa
Holy crap! Thanks everyone for your replies! I had a UTI about three weeks ago and despite numerous tests telling me I'm fine, I still have all the symptoms of it. I often sit for hours at a time and cry, and I've even had to call in sick to work a number of times, which is putting my career in jeopardy. Everyone kept insisting it was stress but I didn't believe it. I continuously think that it's coming back, and of course it's not. I had no idea anxiety could cause bladder pain. I have OCD and panic attacks and usually the only resulting physical reactions I have to anxiety are nausea, heartburn, stomachache and everything else listed in anxiety books. I figured anxiety wouldn't cause my bladder THIS much pain and burning, but I guess it can. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cope with it?
|

replied March 5th, 2012
Re: Help please :(
Malibu13 wrote:
Hey, I've been going through the same situation for 2 YEARS now! After being tossed around from obgyn and urologists, I finally found a Doc that told me it was all due to stress. He set me up with a bladder trainer, but they can't get me in for 3 weeks! I've looked online and did some of there exercies, but I'm still in so much pain!! Does anyone know if muscle relaxers would help? Hope someone out there is still around Sad

I find the one drug which helps my bladder symptoms is Ativan (lorazepam), which isn't good because those pills are addictive, but right now, I can't really function without them. And I don't know if you get burning, but it does nothing for the burning. It only helps the pain.
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Im Glad to know im not alone.Ive had bad bouts of Stress,nerves,Anxiety,depression to .I looked on line with most my problems it keeps pinting to Stress Trauma Disorder.I believe its possible i had horrible acident 4 years ago & still in suit.But each time i get stressed hour or so later my bladder goes haywire i can barley walk cause such pain feel like someone bruised it in a boxing ring ive been taking 5-HTP.TR 200mg seems to help relax me sometimes not as much but i hate drugs but seems i may need them.I do love music so i watch lot tv to get my thought off things & listen to loads of music
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Im Glad to know im not alone.Ive had bad bouts of Stress,nerves,Anxiety,depression to .I looked on line with most my problems it keeps pinting to Stress Trauma Disorder.I believe its possible i had horrible acident 4 years ago & still in suit.But each time i get stressed hour or so later my bladder goes haywire i can barley walk cause such pain feel like someone bruised it in a boxing ring ive been taking 5-HTP.TR 200mg seems to help relax me sometimes not as much but i hate drugs but seems i may need them.I do love music so i watch lot tv to get my thought off things & listen to loads of music
|