Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety and Stress Question

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I am now 22. Off and on since I was 16 I've had times where I've felt weird. I don't know how to describe it. It first happened after I got drunk for the first time. I had alcohol poisoning so they say. A week after that I was feeling weird. I felt like I couldn't think straight, talk right.... When I said something I wasn't sure if I said it or thought it. Like I said, it's been happening off and on. I went 3 years with it only happening once and lasting for a week. It usually only does last for about 7 or 8 days. But I went through this last month and am going through it again this month. I feel very odd. I am associating it with drinking alcohol because I've noticed that it seems to happen mostly after I get drunk. Like last month and this this episode. It's extremely hard for me to explain so I'm not sure that I want to see another doctor. I saw one when I was 17 but I don't think I was treated right seeing as how I was given anti-depressants and they didn't help. What's wrong?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A21537
Hello.

What you probably had for the first time was Alcohol Intoxication. This happens when the levels of alcohol in blood are above a certain manageable limit. And you are probably describing a binge drinking pattern. During the binges, alcohol intoxication might occur.

Another condition you may have to look into is the rare case of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase deficiency. Aldehyde Dehydrogenase is an enzyme that breaks down alcohol in your body. If this enzyme is lacking, alcohol can become toxic.

Hope this helps a bit. Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.