Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Anxiety and depression

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I have been living with my boyfriend for about 6 months. Things have been good, and I love living with him. However, I have begun to notice a few tendencies that I didn't before. His mother is bi-polar, and his paternal grandmother is on anti-depressents. During the winter months when he isn't working, it seems that he gets a touch of seasonal depression. However, it seems to be getting worse. Not only does he have symptoms of depression, but he often will take out his frustration on me. He is not physically or verbally abusive, but it seems that I just can't seem to please him. If he has been mean or negative, it takes him about 20 minutes to realize how he has hurt me, and he apoligizes. IT is obvious that he feels bad. However, it continously happens. This has only started the past 2 months. I know the symptoms of depression, but was just curious if this negative behavior was part of depression also?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2008
Depression Answer A3962
Such “negative behavior” could be a symptom of depression. Anxiety symptoms can be present in depression at the beginning but later depression dominates. Bipolar disorder is genetically conditioned so it is possible that your boyfriend inherited it.
Take care of yourself!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.