Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety affecting life

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am nearly 22, and lately I have been experiencing great amounts of panic attacks, which sadly seem to have been happening at work the past 2 weeks. One, I had on the way to work because there was a lot of construction on the road. I am a very nervous driver. Another I had about a week ago the day I put my dog to sleep, and I thought I would make it through work and be fine and it would take my mind off of it...Instead I was upset at work all day and about half sick.

Then again today I felt sick all day, and I honestly do hate to call off work. I have only done that twice now in the past 3 months I have been working (because I was sick).

A lot of this has happened in the last two weeks, and work finally told me today with how things seem they don't think they can rely on me anymore, so if these panic attacks continue to happen they will have to let me go unless I get a doctor's excuse.

I have no doctor, and honestly they make me a nervous wreck. I was wondering about what doctors ask and look for when they begin to diagnose whether or not I may need put on medication. One of my managers at work have been awesome to work with because she has them as well, and she was placed on medication because of it. I know that there is no 100% way to completely get rid of them. I was just wondering if it sounded as though I needed to see a doctor or someone else about them. Work told me that if I was to have one again they may need a doctor's excuse to tell them I have anxiety issues and things happen. Or at least that is how I took it.

Thank you very much for any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2009
Supporter
Well it does sound like you're under a lot of stress which can cause the anxiety and panic attacks. I'm sure having to put your dog to sleep was very painful. If things like work and driving in construction are giving you panic attacks then you really should see a psychiatrist. I have anxiety too, very similar to yours but I take anxiety medication and it does help me a lot. A good therapist is very helpful too. Sometimes you will need to go through a few different psychologists before you find the right one. It took me four before I found the right one. Good-luck!
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Experienced User
What kind of medication do you take if you don't mind me asking? I am finding out that anxiety seems to run in my family quite a bit. My one uncle is an Anax (spelling???) but he told me when he takes that it really just makes him sleep. My manager at work told me she's been on three different ones, and I cannot remember what she was placed on, but this third one has helped. One anxiety medication made her sleep a lot (which I believe she said was Anax (spelling?) which with my college and work schedule (which will be days like 14-16 hours) there is no way I can be on that if that is the case, and I know different meds affect everyone differently. My manager said the one she is on now is awesome, she doesn't even know she's taking anxiety meds at all most of the time because they don't affect her or her sleeping schedule or how she feels during the day, they just take the edge off of the stress she is under.

I've tried tons of ways to calm myself down. Usually I blast music and sing with the windows down when I am nervous driving (that particular day of my one panic attack that did not work). At work when I can't deal with customers (I am typically a cashier) I pack food orders and clean, which has helped...I just ask someone to take the orders for me, and the crew members I work with are awesome! Which makes things better when I do have these attacks.

Sorry about the long reply. I'm just one of those people who puts a ton of detail in everything I say and do. lol
|

replied August 19th, 2009
Experienced User
So, since my post I have done some research and have narrowed down to a slight self understanding...I have GAD. Everything fits exactly. I am honestly fine and perfectly care-free some days and other days I do honestly just feel like I am going to lose it! Today my boss said something to correct me at work, and she did it in a very nice manor and was trying to help me out so I didn't make a mistake again, and I honestly replayed the whole thing in my head trying to "figure it out" for at least ten minutes, breaking it down in my head thinking about if she was mad, if she was being nice, if she was becoming impatient...Honestly, I break conversations down and try to figure out if people are mad at me.

My fiance's cousin talked to me on the internet today, and she said when she was my age she had anxiety and panic attacks because she was always obsessed with trying to be perfect for work and doing things that would please people so they would like her and things like that...The term she used was "people-pleaser" and that is exactly me.

I am positive that the issue is not a medical issue such as thyroid problems are anything else like that that I have looked up...It is simply stress and me working myself up into a panic trying to please people.

I am wondering who would exactly be the best person to go see for this...Do I need to find and make an actual appointment with a doctor (I do not have one as of right now because my childhood doctor doesn't take anyone over 19 and I never found a doctor) or if I needed to see a phyciaratrist about it...

Since I also do not have a doctor I thought about visiting our Urgent Care facility in town and ask about it, even just to obtain some information...

I'm stuck in a fork in the road...please help.
|

replied August 31st, 2009
Hi,
I have been on Paxil for 8 years now and feel great.
Yes, please see a general doctor so that can monitor you. You might need to take different medications until you find the one that works. The urgent care doctor might give you Xanax, but that should only be temporary, since it is very addictive.
|