Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Ankle recovery time after plate and screws?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I currently just had surgery on foot on June.02,2011 i got a steal plate and 6 screws put in.I was wondering how long until im able to walk again??.I have a toddler at home and i would love to be able to enjoy at least a little bit of summer
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
stephaniee,

It depends greatly upon what your injury is. Some fractures that have had internal fixation placed can be walked on immediately, some can be walked on in a cast, and others have to be nonweight bearing for an extended period.

Usually, bones in the foot heal in about 6 to 8 weeks. But, again, it depends upon the fracture. You also have to rehab the foot. So, if you are in a cast for the whole time, your ankle will be stiff. If you don't have to be casted, then ROM shouldn't be a problem.

This is a question you should have asked the surgeon. When you left the hospital you should have been given instructions as to what exactly your activity level could be. Be sure to ask these questions of the surgeon the next time you see him/her.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?