Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Angio-Seal (Page 1)

User Profile
I had an Angiogram done on March 30th, there was an Angio-seal used, and I was given a card to carry with me for the next 90 days. I had an angiogram done in 2005, which was done the old way, lay for 5 hours after and never looked back. Never needed a painkiller or anything. This time, I can't walk without pain and am in alomost constant pain today from above the site of entry, with a very warm sensation around the site, but to look at the wound, all looks just the same as before. I would like to know is this normal, or is there need for me to seek attention. My GP has no experience of an Angioseal as I'm the first of his patients to have it done. The hospital Cardiology section is closed now until after Easter, so unless I go to A&E, there isn't any way to see a doctor. I don't like making a fuss if can manage without it. Would appreciate replies from anyone who has experience of any similiar situation.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MirLou
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2009
Update on previous post
Am only home from the hospital now, so will give you an update.

As pain in the groin was getting worse, I returned to my GP again on the 9th, he referred me back to the hospital and upon examination, an ulra sound of the groin was advised. An aneurysm was discovered on the femoral artery, so I was admitted for observation. presently pain relief is helping and I am to be reviewed regularly. Hopping surgery won't be needful, but if grows any more then they may need to go in there.

Such a relief to at last know what was causing the pain, as I knew I was never like it before.

Hope all the rest of you, my dear friends are well.
|

replied March 26th, 2011
ANGIO SEAL
HI ..I AM SO GLAD I DECIDED TO LOOK UP ANGIO SEAL.
I 2 HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEMS.
I WAS GOING TO SEE MY GP NEXT WEEK BUT DECIDED TO HAVE A LOOK AT THIS SITE, AS I DONT THINK MY GP IS UP2 DATE WITH ANGIO SEAL.
THE BURNING/PAIN HAS BEEN GETTING WORSE, SO AFTER READING YOUR POST I NOW WILL BE GETTING THIS SORTED OUT,
THANKYOU...LORI
|

replied March 27th, 2011
curious about angioseal problems
Ihad my last 2 stents done in november 2010,have 2 prior 2 that in past years,Ihad the angioseal done with the last 2 and have had nothing but pain,I have trouble walking, panadol after panadol.
what Iam curious about is did anyone have the trouble after the 90days, had lapsed.MY 90 days has finished but the problem has gotten worse,becoming quite concerned. Also what I have read is getting a doctor to believe this is happening.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
angio-seal complications
Very interesting! I am wondering how they are going to deal with your aneurysm??? Your story sounds all too familiar. My father also had an angiogram done 14 yrs ago the old way and had zero complications. Never even took a pain killer either. Last month my father had the same procedure done on Mar 1st while they were in Hawaii. This time they used the angio-seal. He was flown home and the only complication from his pacemaker surgery is the site of his angio-seal. Like you, on the outside the wound site appears completely normal. My father is living on pain meds which he never takes for the excruciating pain! He is scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow which will be about 7 weeks after the procedure. He is very anxious to hear what the prognosis would be. Please keep us posted on your recovery.
|

replied May 30th, 2009
Angio-Seal
I have read the above and very surprised as to there complaints. I had the same procedure 3 days ago and so far I am very happy with the outcome. I was able to leave the same day after the angiogram and was very content on not having a sand bag on me for 5 hours. It was a most gradifying experience as compared to my last procedure which was done 4 years ago,the old way.
Thank you Angio-Seal
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Here is some information that may help you out.
My husband was catharized this Tuesday. The procedure went very well.
He was sent home and given the usual instructions. Don’t lift, keep your
leg up, etc. That night I had to remove some of the tape from the bandage and cut some of the hairs. They had not shaved the entire area.
On Wednesday, I removed the bandage. There was only a small drop of blood on the gauze. He had 2 silver dollar size bruises; one on the groin and one on the leg.
Wednesday and Thursday went well. In fact he went back to work on Thursday.
But on Friday when he got dressed, He called me in. The bruise on the leg had grown to
about 4-5 inches long and as wide as the original coin.
We called the Doctor who told us that it is normal to get very bad bruising. Sometimes the bruising goes all the way to the knee. Just don’t be too worried about bruising.
|

replied November 16th, 2009
angio seal
My Pop had an angioseal inserted 12 hours ago. I was given instructions for the first 24 hours after the procedure. I am to check for a hard coin shaped lump under the insision site. If it is larger than a pea I was advised to apply pressure to the site for 15 minutes; avoiding a clot. I do not feel qualified to make that determination as the area feels hard to the touch already. I called the ER but they are extremely busy and have not returned my call yet. Should a I be concerned or persistent? Thank you
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
Angio-Seal
On 16 Dec 2009 I had an angiograph done and an Angio-Seal was inserted. I was on my feet within a couple of hours. The following day when the bandage was removed there was a spot of blood and a small amount of brusing in the vicinity of the incision. On 14 Jan 2010 I had an angioplasty procudure to insert two arterial stents and again an Angio-Seal was inserted. This time no bruising at all and a tiny spot of blood when the transparent dressing was removed two days later.
|

replied May 17th, 2010
Angio-Seal
I too have had a Angio-Seal put in it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life worse then having kids. The pain go so bad the 2nd day my boys had to call the ambulance come to find out I was bleeding internally they did emergency surgery. all the problems I have heard I would not let them put one in one of my friends or family
|

replied October 14th, 2011
I AM A 37 YR OLD FEMALE I JUST HAD MY 3RD CATH DONE LAST THURS.THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAD AN ANGIO-SEAL INSERTED WHILE I WAS GETTING IT DONE I COULD HEAR THE DOC SAYING I WAS BLEEDING OUT WHEN I WENT TO BED THAT NIGHT I GOT UP TO USE THE BATHROOM AN HAD A TERRIBLE PAIN THAT HAD ME BENT OVER AN CRYING AFTER 15MINUTES THE PAIN WENT AWAY BUT IT CAME BACK THE NEXT MORN,BUT NOT AS BAD I CALLED MY DOCTORS OFFICE ON SATURDAY AND HE RETURNED MY CALL THAT EVENING HE SAID THAT THE PROCEDURE WENT WELL N MAYBE ITS MY APPENDIX NOW THIS MORNING ABOUT 5AM I WOKE UP WITH THE WORST ABDOMINAL PAIN EVER I GO SEE MY REGULAR DOC.THIS MORNING IM SENDING THIS MSG. FOR HELP N ASLSO TO SAY I WOULDNT ADVISE ANYONE TO GET AN ANGIO-SEAL PUT IT N IF U READ UP ON IT IT'LL TELL YOU ITS USED WHEN A ALTERY IS PUNTURED AND THEY NEVER TOLD ME THAT
|

replied October 14th, 2011
I AM A 37 YR OLD FEMALE I JUST HAD MY 3RD CATH DONE LAST THURS.THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAD AN ANGIO-SEAL INSERTED WHILE I WAS GETTING IT DONE I COULD HEAR THE DOC SAYING I WAS BLEEDING OUT WHEN I WENT TO BED THAT NIGHT I GOT UP TO USE THE BATHROOM AN HAD A TERRIBLE PAIN THAT HAD ME BENT OVER AN CRYING AFTER 15MINUTES THE PAIN WENT AWAY BUT IT CAME BACK THE NEXT MORN,BUT NOT AS BAD I CALLED MY DOCTORS OFFICE ON SATURDAY AND HE RETURNED MY CALL THAT EVENING HE SAID THAT THE PROCEDURE WENT WELL N MAYBE ITS MY APPENDIX NOW THIS MORNING ABOUT 5AM I WOKE UP WITH THE WORST ABDOMINAL PAIN EVER I GO SEE MY REGULAR DOC.THIS MORNING IM SENDING THIS MSG. FOR HELP N ASLSO TO SAY I WOULDNT ADVISE ANYONE TO GET AN ANGIO-SEAL PUT IT N IF U READ UP ON IT IT'LL TELL YOU ITS USED WHEN A ALTERY IS PUNTURED AND THEY NEVER TOLD ME THAT
|

replied June 8th, 2010
Angio-Seal After Heart Catherization
I came upon this site looking for some answers. I had an Angio-Seal after my heart cath April 4. I had extremely large bruising (palm size) on the right leg at the site AND on my left leg! (can't figure out that one). Everything seemed fine; however, I felt, and still have, a dull ache at the sight and the ache goes all the way to my knee at times. I mentioned it to my cardiologist and my GP. After reading one of the comments above about an aneurysm, I am going to call my cardiologist tomorrow first thing! I was trying to wait the full 90 days before complaining.
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
I had a heart cath last week and I am experiencing the same pain of a dull throbbing that goes all the way down my right leg. I am up all night and cannot sleep because of it. Contemplated going to the ER but I am holding off and calling my cardiologist in the morning.
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2010
angio-seal failure
I had the Angio-Seal after a stent last Tuesday 9-14-2010. Lucky for me they kept me overnight. The seal failed the next morning and my groin area filled with blood. Very painful. It took another day to fix it and had to stay another night. Any lawyers out there who can advise me of my rights? I feel like suing!
|

replied September 18th, 2010
I've got pain as well and it's presented about seven days after the seal was installed; I'm not a cardiologist or vascular expert but it feel like something's going on at the site. I'm going into my health center as soon as it opens this am. Ted L.
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
Failed Angioseal
I had a heart cath on August 30th 2010 and they used an angioseal. The day after the procedure I felt a "pop" and my groin bulged to the size of a baseball with horrible pain and bruising down to my knee. Before that...no bruising, no pain...nothing. I went to the ER and they did an ultrasound and said everything was fine. I returned to work 2 days later. Followed up with my cardiologist and he said everything was fine... but something is not right. My leg, groin, and hip ache all of the time. One hour on my feet and my ankles are swollen. I'm just wondering if something could have developed after they did the ultrasound or if there is something that the ultrasound didn't pick up? Any info, suggestions, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! By the way...the hospital that did the ultrasound was the same hospital (ER) that sent me home twice telling me I had "anxiety" and then the "flu" before admitting me 2 days later telling me I had suffered a heart attack. Don't have a whole lot of faith anymore! Oh! also...I never received a card to carry with me for 90 days either!
|

replied October 19th, 2010
it has beeen a week since my heart cath and they used the angio seal in my leg. i am still in pain that makes me sick to my stomach, swelling, still bruising and a numb area the size of your hand. this is not normal at all but yet, if it is still bothering me tomorrow come to the dr office and we will just tell you it is normal. i heard it from the er too!
|

replied October 30th, 2010
Angio Seal
I had a heart cath on October 8, 2010 with an angio seal device also. Four days later I had severe pain in my groin and down my leg. Had an ultrasound and it showed some sort of blockage. My cardiologist referred me to a vascular surgeon whom performed an angiogram on the 25 of October, could not put in a stent nor would the angioplasty work. My vascular surgeon believes it is debri from the angio seal. I am having surgery Monday where he will have to open the artery to remove whatever it is. Had I known I would be going through all of this pain,frustration, anger, etc. etc. I would have told the cardiologist to not put the angio seal in. My vascular surgeon did not use the angio seal on Monday he did it apparently the proper way and I have no pain in my left groin. Still extreme pain in my right where the angio seal was inserted. They need to take the angio seal off the market.
|

replied November 12th, 2010
Angio seal recovery
I've had two stents and two angio seals in the last year. The site hurt and was warm. I would not call it painful after the first day or two. I went back to work in about 4 days the first time--too soon. I stand to teach on hard floors and have steps to navigate. Ended up going in to cardiologist who said I was fine but needed some bed rest. Second stent--stayed home 8 days, took it much easier when I returned and felt fine. Occasionally, I still sense the site although it's compeletely healed. A friend had several stents seven years ago. He had another recently and said the seal was far better than the sand bag treatment. My best advice to anyone having a cath/stent is to rest about three times longer than you think you need. Work will still be there!
|

replied November 19th, 2010
I had mine done 4 days ago. Trust me when I say I am watching things very closely. I'm 30 years old and already had a heart attack. As far as the angio seal goes, after the initial discomfort, which last at most 24 hours, everything is fine. It's itchy as hell from the tissue healing, but otherwise, no pain , no bruising, and the mark left behind is actually smaller than the marks that were left by the 4 freaking I.Vs I recieved during this ordeal.
|

replied November 24th, 2010
Like redfromoh and straycat59 I'm taking things very easy. Since my angioseal 48hrs ago, I've spent most of that time at home in bed. No lifting, no bending, and as little walking as possible. I was sore for the first 12hrs but now there is no discomfort at all. This is my 2nd angioseal in 2 years. The first left a large bruise on my thigh and a big painful subcutaneous blood clot in my lower abdomen. Both healed up completely. I expect some bruising this time also. Despite it's efficacy, this device won't get you back to normal in a couple of days. I'm taking a week to get up and around and at least twice that before I get back to heavy work. My advice: rest, patience and take it slow. If I don't post in the next few days, you'll know it worked fine.
|

replied March 31st, 2011
Has anyone experienced an inability to have an erection after having an angioseal placed? My husband had one placed in September and still is unable to have an erection. He also had pain at the sight of the angioseal and into the buttock at first - but that has resolved. Any information would be helpful since no-one seems to know if this is a complication.
|

replied April 4th, 2011
angioseal
I had an angiogram done last tues where they used the angioseal, and a week later im still in pain, i had the angioseal, Im 40, and Ive been taking pain killers, Im back at work but it hurts my hip and leg and where the angioseal was,and Im limping around, should i call my dr?
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Angio-Seal and swelling in lower leg
Hi

I had an angio-seal inserted in my groin 4 days ago and have just acquired a 1 inch diameter lump surrounded by extensive bruising at the front of the same leg just above the ankle. Went to see my GP who concluded it is not a clot but perhaps a lump of fat. I was wondering whether it might be collagen debris. Anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks
|
12 >>