Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

15 and suffering from Losses and stress

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
I am a 15 year old girl who over the summer lost a really close friend to suicide and then dealt with her friend threatening suicide constantly and her grandfather being diagnosed with cancer. I feel sad a lot of the time, I pretend to be happy-go-lucky, I cut sometimes, I cry a lot, I am rude and moody, I hate the way I look and some days I almost wish I could die. Am I depressed? And how can I tell my parents if I am?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2011
Depression Answer A21400
Hello.

A feeling of sadness of mood for a significant period of time, which affects you day to day life can be associated with depression. However the other symptoms need to be evaluated by a mental health professional such as a psychiatrist. The diagnosis can be made only after a careful clinical interview and examination. You might have something more then just depression. Please consult a Psychiatrist for a diagnosis. You might not get an accurate idea about diagnosis via online conversations.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.